America-3

Shadow greeted me at the door, wagging his tail and barking.

"Hey boy," I cooed and rubbed his belly.

The hall light turned on and I stood up to see my mom standing in her robe.

"How's Sonya?"

"She's good, we had ice-cream so that made her overjoyed."

My mom smiled gently, "how's Solara holding up?"

"Good. She seems a bit more tired at times but overall she's happy."

"That's typical," she replied and let me go up to my room.

Night was always the worst for me. Images would come rushing back to me in my sleep. Counseling had helped me in the beginning. Now it was a struggle for me to forget the man for more than an hour. I felt like he was watching my every move. He had sworn to kill us all... and after Solara had seen him I knew this game of his had just begun.

Shadow pawed at my leg impatiently and looked at my bed. I knew he was ready to sleep but I wasn't.

"Sorry boy," I murmured and kept a dim reading light on to let me evade some of the darkness. Maybe I should've let Sunday spend the night... it would have at least eased my paranoid mind.

"There's nothing to be afraid of," I reminded myself and inched deeper into my warm mattress. The mattress shifted as Shadow curled up by my feet. For whatever reason, the hair on the back of  my neck started standing up and I felt my breathing quicken. Whatever was scaring me wasn't usually this dramatic.

"Mom..?" I called and petted my dog's back with quivering fingers.

The door opened and my parents walked in slowly.

"America what's wrong?"

"I feel like he's here," I whimpered and kept glancing out the window in fear.

"Sweetie there is no one outside," my dad reassured me.

"That's what all the parents say,"

I watched my mom's face grow concerned. "I think we need to take her back to the counselor tomorrow."

Inside I groaned, no one wants to go see a counselor. It was already humiliating enough to go because you have a problem or your parents think you do.

My dad agreed and turned the light on in my room. "America I can go check outside if that will make you feel better?"

"Can you?"

"If it'll help you sleep better then yes."

My mom sat down on my bed while I looked out the window, waiting to see my dad appear. When he did, I noticed him stoop down to pick up something.

"Mom what did he pick up?"

"It was probably some money sweetie."

Something in my gut kept telling me that whatever it was, wasn't left there on an accident.