ZERO

⊠ ⊠ ⊠ ⊠ ⊠

ZERO; SUMMER

     IT WAS SUMMER when Quil first laid eyes on her.

     Jake had been talking about June Haight since he learned how to speak. Quil and Embry, unusually, had never met the girl until Sarah invited June's family over for their annual barbecue.

     She was nervous. Anyone could tell just by a first glance. June never really enjoyed meeting new people, but her mother and father insisted it was a polite gesture.

     "Hi, I'm June."

     Jake already had one arm wrapped around her, smiling widely. Embry introduced himself first, but Quil was mesmerized. He thought June was pretty — prettier than most of the girls in his class who screamed that he had 'cooties' when he approached them.

     "Quil!" Jake hissed, knocking his friend out of his dreamlike trance. Jake only wanted everything to go perfectly to impress June. "Say something."

     "Hi, I'm Quil."

     June smiled softly. "Hi, Quil."

     And the four of them grew up together. Jake had always been by June's side, and Quil tried his best to push his feelings back during those years. When the pair announced they had begun dating, Quil became uncharacteristically silent.

     But he couldn't change the way June felt about Jake, or the way Jake felt about June. Quil was only a friend.

     A good, warm-hearted friend that would never stand in the way of his two other friends' happiness.

c'mon quil step up