Chapter 45: The Calling of War

Start from the beginning

            “What did you see?” his mother, the Queen-Sibyl Isvi asked him. He couldn’t see her but he knew that she was leaning forward eagerly, wondering if his first attempt at farseeing was a success.

            He did not answer. Instead he simply crawled over towards a nearby bucked at vomited, violently heaving up blood. He stayed leaning over the bucked for a few moments before pulling back and turning towards his mother. He could feel his hands shaking and his breath was coming in deep pants.

            His mother paused for a moment before testily asking again, “What did you see?”

            Tying his blindfold back over his sightless eyes, the Seer said, “I saw two figures riding on massive beasts, winged lions with the face of a human and the tail of a scorpion. I saw men and beasts preparing for war. And I saw…” he hesitated and swallowed before continuing, “I saw the creatures of the Asylum. I saw Bellada. And she saw me.”

            “She has farsight?” his mother exclaimed in disbelief. “Impossible! She lost all of her powers as a high priestess when she fell!”

            Growling, the Seer stated, “Don’t tell me you truly believed that, mother. If she lost her powers, why would we need to lock her up? She is just as powerful as ever.”

            “Did she recognize you?”

            The Seer let out a bitter laugh. “We grew up together. We spent every day in each other’s company for seven years. How could she not recognize me?”

            His mother scoffed. “You always had a soft spot for her,” she hissed. “I knew that I should have separated you from the moment I saw you both playing together. The next High Seer does not have for such childish dealings.”

Standing up, the Seer walked towards the door. Anger pulsed through him and he clenched his jaw in an attempt not to rip his mother apart.

            “Where are you going?” his mother demanded. She stood up behind him and followed him out into the hallway. “Rebellious boy! You should not even be the High Seer! Your brother was always more talented than you. He was always the better child. You are nothing but a failsafe! A failsafe that had to be used!”

            Whirling around, and the Seer’s eyes began to glow through the blindfold and an invisible wind began to whisper through the hallway. A purple mist began to roll along to ground, wrapping itself around his mother’s feet, anchoring her to the carpet.

“My brother is dead,” the Seer hissed. “He is dead because you killed him. He is dead because you tried to force him to become the Seer! Perhaps he was meant to have this power, but he did not want it! And it was your forcing it on him that killed him. Intriok would have lived if you would have only waited for him to be ready to accept his role!”

The mist climbed up around his mother’s red dress and wrapped itself around her mouth. He could feel the fog as if it was an extension of himself. He could feel his mother struggling for breath as the fog suffocated her.

Suddenly, he snapped out of it. The fog faded away and his mother fell to the ground gasping, as he had been not minutes before.

“You could have killed me,” she choked out.

            Laughing, the Seer replied, “Be careful, mother. I can hear the fear in your voice. And that was my intention up until a few moments ago.” Kneeling down next to her, he said, “Never try to use my brother against me again. If you claim that I am not the true Seer, then it is your fault.” With those words he stood and continued to walk away.