midnight drama

Alexis was awoken by the sudden sounds of movement and hushed voices. She sat up in her bed and looked around her dark room, but its unfamiliarity did nothing to comfort her. Something was wrong. She could feel it.

She swung her legs over the side of her bed and placed her feet on the cool wooden floor gently; she had worn an old black The Beatles top with some pyjama shorts to bed so the blissful warmth of sleep was soon taken away from her in the cold of the night.

Alexis padded over to her door gently and opened it, peeking out and looking both ways down the corridor. The lights were on, and she could hear more hurried footsteps and whispering.

That did it. She quietly shut her bedroom door before following the direction of the noise.

After navigating a few corridors Alexis arrived at her destination. How did she know it was her destination? By the large crowd standing around the doorway.

She crept up to the edge of the crowd, unable to see past it and couldn't help but overhear some of the murmurings.

"..killing him.."
"-he tried to kill her first!"
"Look at his veins!"

Alexis shook her head, as if the snippets of conversation that she was hearing were annoying insects that were flying around near her head. This wasn't helping. Looking around the crowd of gathered children she recognised a familiar hairstyle. Bobby.

She cautiously inched between bodies to try and reach him and when she was close enough she grabbed his wrist to get his attention. He looked down immediately and his expression became one of concern.

"Hey, Alexis, are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine," she mumbled a little incoherently, "but what's going on?" She gestured to the crowd around them. Bobby was taller than her, so she assumed that he could see what was happening inside the doorway that they were standing around better than she could.

"I don't really know," His eyebrows furrowed, "There was a new girl yesterday called Rogue, her and some weird guy showed up out of the blue. Apparently he stabbed her in his sleep and now she's using her mutant power to get better." The pitch of Bobby's voice increased at the end in a way that made what he said sound like a question, like he wasn't so sure that it was all truth himself.

Alexis pouted, "I can't see anything."

Bobby shifted to the side slightly and pulled her in front of him, "Here.".

Alexis' heart fluttered slightly at the feeling of his chest pressed against her back but quickly pushed the feeling aside and focused on the scene in front of her. She gaped. It looked horrific. Rogue's touch looked like it was sucking the life force from the man, who she later learned was called Logan; veins were protruding from his face, his eyes were wide and he sounded like he couldn't breathe.

About a minute later three of Alexis' new teachers, Jean, Storm and Scott (or Cyclops) arrived and took over the situation. Rogue practically ran from the room, avoiding everyone's eyes after insisting that it had been 'an accident'.

The crowd slowly began to disperse and Bobby and Alexis decided to do the same. Bobby's room was only around the corner from Alexis' so they slowly made their way back together.

"Does it get easier?" Alexis asked out of the blue.

Bobby looked down at the girl walking on his right, "Does what get easier?"

"Seeing other mutants use their powers."

Bobby laughed but then saw that Alexis' face was completely serious and stopped, "One day it'll just become normal to you. But some powers will still come as a surprise I suppose, like Rogue's just then, none of us have ever seen anything like that before."

Alexis nodded.

"How come you found out about it anyway?" Bobby asked her curiously.

"What do you mean?" Alexis looked up at him in confusion, "All of the talking and people walking around woke me up."

Bobby stopped walking so abruptly that Alexis carried on for a few steps before realising that he had. She turned around, "What?"

The expression on Bobby's face was one of utter disbelief. "You heard it? Everyone was barely whispering, Alexis, and your room isn't exactly nearby." He said slowly.

"But I did hear it!" Alexis protested, staring at Bobby defiantly.

He stared back at her, "I never said you didn't. I was just trying to point out that for a human that's not normal, but for a mutant with unknown powers..." He trailed off and shrugged.

Alexis' eyes widened as she realised what he was implying but then  wrinkled her nose, "So my mutation is super hearing? Great. In a school full of element controllers and life suckers that's really going to get me far." She said sarcastically.

Bobby slowly began to continue walking and Alexis followed his lead, "No, drama queen, I'm saying that maybe your hearing is a side effect of your mutation somehow. I'd mention it to the Professor if I were you; any clues that you have should help you figure it out faster."

Alexis sighed. They had reached Bobby's door; he hesitated with his hand on the handle.

"Are you sure you can find your way to your room from here?" He asked, half real concern and half teasing.

"Shut up." Alexis laughed lightly and rolled her eyes.

"Are you okay though?" Bobby asked seriously, "This mutation talk hasn't freaked you?"

"No, I'm fine, really." Alexis quickly swept a hand through her hair, "Goodnight, Bobby." She smiled before turning and starting to close the small distance between her and her room.

"Goodnight, Alexis." Bobby smiled, watching her go for a moment before shaking his head and entering his room for the final time that night.