the monster within

Alexis quickly hopped up the grand staircase of Xavier's School for Gifted Children. The headache which had plagued her for days seemed to intensify with each step but she forced herself to keep her pace; she was late.

It had been two days since her meeting with the Professor, and it was evident that the girl was not herself. Since the meeting Alexis had had a bad temper, throbbing headache, and perhaps most bizarrely of all, recurring nightmares: none of which she could remember when she awoke, sweaty and dazed, in her moonlit room.

Bobby, of course, had noticed these changes, and had decided that Alexis needed a day to 'relax'. Hence why their plans on this particular Saturday were to meet at Bobby's room (he always slept in late at the weekend) and spend the day doing absolutely nothing, apart from talk, laugh, eat, and chill out.

As Alexis reached the top of the stairs she took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, trying to focus on listening to the silence. She'd been working on the lone clue of her mutation, exceptional hearing, with outstanding results; she could now choose when to hear everything that ordinary people couldn't without being overwhelmed.

All at once Alexis could hear the lives of all the mutants within the school. Whispers, laughter, TV programmes, a basketball being bounced outside. She smiled and shook her head slightly, making her hearing return to normal, and she noticed that her headache had subsided for the two seconds that she'd put a part of her mutation into practice.

Alexis loped through the corridor, she was nearly at Bobby's room now and was contemplating all the unpleasant ways in which she could wake him up.
However, Alexis' thought process was suddenly interrupted by an ear splitting noise. The fire alarm.

Alexis recognised the noise, she'd had many fire drills at her old school, but as her knees buckled involuntarily she realised that she had never reacted like this before.

Her hands quickly flew to her ears as she tried to block the ungodly sound from piercing her mind. The noise seemed to be attacking her entire body, all she could feel was agony.

She screeched as she writhed about on the floor, the pain in her head intensifying by the second; she was sure that she could feel her brain hitting her skull, begging to escape like a baby bird that wants nothing more than to fly from its nest. Her hands moved clumsily around her head in an attempt to hold it together.

Doors were opening, people running.

"Alexis? Alexis!" Bobby's voice pulled Alexis' attention back to the present moment. Still, she could barely focus on anything apart from the pain, piercing pain. She groaned softly.

"Hey, let me through!" Cyclops pushed through the gathering crowd as quickly as he could; nothing could panic the teachers as quickly as a student's mutation causing them to act in a way like this.

He reached Alexis and Bobby, who was crouched beside her.

"I think it's the noise, sir." Bobby said, flicking his eyes upwards as if to gesture to the fire alarm.

Cyclops nodded but knew that he needed Jean to subdue the girl before taking her for a medical, "Stay with her, try and calm her down."

Bobby nodded and watched as Cyclops quickly pushed himself up and turned to the loitering students. He spoke calmly, but with meaning, "Everyone follow the fire drill and get out now. The only person permitted to be in this corridor right now is Bobby Drake, understood?"

He watched as a few students bowed their head but quickly began to jog down the corridor, needing to find Jean, and trusting that his instructions would be followed.

Soon it just the two of them, Bobby and Alexis, left in the corridor. Bobby stared at Alexis intently, scouring her whole body as if looking for signs of damage. He noted how small she actually was, something which her flamboyant personality usually disguised, however when she lay whimpering on the floor in front of him it made her seem fragile. Instantly, he felt a great need to protect the blonde girl who had entered his life in a whirlwind, and brightened it up considerably.

As quickly as it had started, the fire alarm stopped. Bobby sighed in relief and placed a hand on Alexis' arm.

"Alexis?", he whispered, "It's stopped now. Please will you move your hands?"

Although she was no longer in as much pain, and no longer making noises, Alexis remained quivering on the floor, shocked. Unable to comprehend the ordeal that had just happened to her.

She slowly moved her hands away from her face, wanting nothing more than for Bobby to hug her and tell her it was all okay. She peeked up at him but immediately regretted it when the expression on his face was one that made her stomach plummet. However, her concern only lasted for a split second before everything was washed away and all she could see was darkness.

Bobby watched as her eyes fluttered shut and then looked behind him; as expected, there stood Cyclops, Storm, and Professor Grey, the looks on their faces confirming that they too had just witnessed the same thing as him.

They had just seen the face of a wolf.

--
I'M SO SORRY IT'S BEEN SO LONG!! I've been super busy etc etc.

Anyway, I thought it was about time we began to explore Alexis' mutation, especially as it will help make the plot more 'juicy', and I also thought you deserved this after waiting for so long.

It's unedited because I wanted to get it out to you as fast as possible, so I'm sorry for any mistakes but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless.

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT ETC, let me know what you thought of the way I wrote this chapter!

Thank you
Much love xoxo