welcome committee

A/N: Finally - who we've all been waiting for ;)

Alexis shut the door to her new room behind her and sunk down it slowly, exhaling as she did so.

She surveyed the room before her; the walls were white, and there was a bed ready made with purple covers pushed against the wall. There was a window in the same wall that the bed was pushed against and Alexis smiled, that would be peaceful when it was raining. She got up and kneeled on the bed, peering out of the window: she could see the whole of the front grounds from that spot, the gardens, fountain and basketball court.

The bed frame, desk, set of drawers and wardrobe were all made of the same dark oak wood.

She sighed and turned to her suitcase which was stood by her door like a fellow comrade. She grabbed it and pulled it onto the bed before unzipping it and staring at its contents determinedly.

"Time to unpack." She murmured to herself.
--
Just as the bottom of Alexis' suitcase was coming into sight there was a knock at her door. She turned to the door slowly, wide eyed, hands full of her belongings which she was no longer consciously recognising - her unpacking had become so rhythmic that as she fell deep into thought she had subconsciously continued to unpack and put everything where it belonged.

The knock came again. "Hello? Er, Alexis? Alexis Brook?"

Eep. The voice was deep. Male. Alexis hadn't had chance to make any friends here yet, she had come straight up to her room to 'settle in', so she didn't know how the person on the other side of the door knew her name.

At last she opened her mouth to speak, and she tried her best to sound confident as she could: "Come in!"

Her eyes followed the door cautiously as it opened, revealing a boy who took a small step into the room. He was fairly tall with blue eyes and tousled light brown hair.

"Hey," he said, smiling and lifting his right arm in a greeting, "I'm Bobby."

"Er, hi, I'm Alexis,", she nodded awkwardly to herself, "but you already knew that."

Alexis laughed nervously, but Bobby chuckled a real laugh.

"Uh, do you want me to come back another time?" Bobby gestured with one hand to what she was holding in her arms whilst rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly with the other one.

Alexis looked down at the bundle she was holding and she instantly felt her face heat up. She was holding a load of her underwear.

"Oh, er, no, er, oh my gosh I didn't even realise I was holding these!" Alexis rambled quickly as she frantically looked around her new room for a place to store them. She decided on the top drawer of the set of drawers beside her bed, quickly shoving everything in her arms in there before slamming it shut and turning around quickly with a sheepish smile on her face.

Bobby was looking at her with amusement. Alexis decided to try and take control of the situation.

"So let me guess, you're like my personal welcome committee?"

Bobby shrugged, "Professor X told me that there was a new girl and perhaps I'd like to show her the ropes."

Alexis couldn't help but roll her eyes, an action which Bobby picked up on.

"Hey, I can go if you want - I was just trying to be friendly." He held his hands up in defence and went to take a step back, acting as if he were going to leave.

Alexis folded her arms across her chest and regarded him with a raised eyebrow, "You found out that I was new so then creepily researched me until you knew my name and where my room was, and then when you're in my room you stare at my underwear for like five minutes before deciding to tell me it's on show.", she paused briefly, taking in the entertained look on his face, "I think that the least you could do, is be my friend." She finished, a smile playing on her lips.

Bobby was silent for a moment before he bowed playfully, looking her in the eyes as he did so, "Then your friend I will be.", he replied mockingly.

And that is how Alexis Brook made her first friend at Mutant High.