Chapter 9

I walked over and sat down beside Louis, hoping that maybe he would talk to me even though I was almost positive that he wouldn’t. I sat beside Louis for about fifteen minutes in just silence. It was not an awkward silence, but a comfortable one. We just sat there, feet dangling in the water making small waves in the pool. I was thankful that it was a hot night, because the pool was cool and it would be even better to go night swimming now, with all this heat.

            When I finally figured out that Louis wasn’t going to talk first, I decided to talk to him and ask if he wanted to go swimming with me.

“So, um, Louis... I was wondering if you wanted to go night swimming with me tonight.”

He didn’t bother answering my question and just turned to glare at me. “Why are you even out here with me? And don’t wear a bikini like that anymore. It makes you look fat” he said.

I stood up and glared right back at him. “Fine. I was just trying to be a nice person, but obviously you don’t want to be around me, so I’ll just leave,” and with that, I turned on my heel and stormed back into the house and up to my room. Night swimming could wait until another night.

LOUIS’ P.O.V

            After Winter found me in the music room and I completely stormed out on her, I went down and sat in the darkest corner of the outdoor pool, and hoped that no one would see me there since it was dark outside. I sat there for what was probably hours and just thought. I thought about all that has happened in the past few months. Everything from me and Eleanor’s break-up, to the last few days when Winter has come to live with us. I know that I shouldn’t be so mean to Winter, and that I shouldn’t bully her, but I feel like that is the only way to express my feelings. Through bullying her.

After however many hours passed, I heard somebody come out the back door. I looked up and saw that Winter had come outside. I shrunk back into the darkness of the corner a little bit more and just watched her.

I watched how she walked, how she was trying to find me. She is so beautiful. I don’t even know why I bully her. I guess it’s just how I express myself. When she came and sat near me it made me so happy to know that she was not too scared to be near me. But of course I had to ruin that.

“So, um, Louis... I was wondering if you wanted to go night swimming with me tonight,” she offered. I mean, of course I wanted to, but I couldn’t risk losing control of my body and feelings and accidentally tell her how I feel. So instead I insulted her. In probably the worst way I could. I called her fat.

            I guess that put her over the edge, because she stood up and glared at me and snapped, “Fine. I was just trying to be a nice person, but obviously you don’t want to be around me, so I’ll just leave.”

            I know that I shouldn’t have said those things to her, but there was something about her that made me attracted to her at first sight, but also hate her so much.

WINTER’S P.O.V

            When I got back to my room I changed out of my bikini and stood naked in front of my full length mirror. I just stood there staring at myself. I pinched and squeezed my thighs and stomach.  My hips and my arms. My neck and just under my chin. Maybe Louis is right. Maybe I am fat.

            I sighed and changed back into my All Time Low band shirt and spandex shorts and crawled into bed, hoping that I would get a good night’s sleep tonight. After at least three hours of tossing and turning, I just couldn’t fall asleep. I turned over to look at the clock on my bedside table and say that it was 1:34am. Lovely.