Riley sat in the glass chair that's like half a dome, watching as Maya laid limp on her beanbag and hearing her phone buzzing.

So, being the good friend that she was, she decided to snoop through Maya's texts and see what she had been up to recently.

As soon as she unlocked the phone, the screen lit up with a picture of Maya and Brandon kissing. Riley rolled her eyes and went to the text icon. She clicked on the one at the top, and Maya's conversation with Brandon popped up.

Maya: You're coming over tonight, right?

Brandon: Of course. I can't wait to see you, babe

Maya: Good. See you later

Brandon: Sounds good. Love you

"What are you doing?" Maya's voice interrupted Riley, and the phone was pulled out of her hands. Maya shoved the phone in the back pocket of her jeans as Riley stared at her confused.

"Why didn't you say it back?" Riley questioned, and Maya froze for a second.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Maya replied, snapping out of her frozen state to walk back over to her bed. She plopped down on it, and Riley raised an eyebrow at her.

"Maya," she warned, standing up and walking over to the bed. "Why didn't you say I love you back to him?"

"I just forgot, okay?" Maya snapped, standing up from the bed and sitting in her window seat. (It's the bay window y'all.)

"Do you really think I'm going to believe that?" Riley laughed, walking over to where Maya was and sitting down. She could tell that Maya was on the edge, and she didn't want to push her over, but she needed to know. "Maya, I'm your best friend. Do you really think that I'm going to believe that?"

Maya groaned, and Riley sat down on the window seat next to her.

"Come on, Maya. You know you can tell me anything."

"Fine," Maya sighed, running a hand through her blonde locks. "I'll tell you, but you can't get all mushy on me."

"I promise I won't."

"Okay, here it goes. I've never been in love with anyone before, and I'm scared. I don't want to get hurt. I don't want to get my heart broken. And I know that Brandon would never break my heart, but there's always a small chance that it could happen. And I'm not ready for that."

"Aww, sweetie," Riley cooed, reaching out and placing her hand on Maya's shoulder, rubbing it with her thumb. "I know you don't know this yet, but heartbreak is something that you'll never be ready for. But it's not something you can avoid, either. At some point in your life, you're going to get your heart broken. It's just a way of life. And I know it sucks, but in the end, you'll find someone who can treat you better than you deserve, and that is what makes all of the pain you went through worth it."

"Is Farkle your person that treats you better than you deserve?" Maya asked, and Riley smiled at the thought of him.

"He is that person in so many different ways."

Maya was about to speak up again when she heard a knock on the window. She turned her head to see a grinning Brandon standing on the ledge of the window. She gasped and opened the window, dragging him inside.

"How in the hell did you manage to get up here?" Maya asked, looking out her bedroom window.

"There was a rope ladder hanging down from your window. You know, the one I always use when your brother refuses to let me in the house," he told her, and she couldn't help but let a smile spread across her face. She could vaguely remember all the nights he had snuck up to her bedroom just to cuddle with her, only to sneak out super early the next morning.