Chapter 11--Amphibious Therapy Session

Start from the beginning

“Okay, gotcha,” he said. Then, with some effort, “Sorry.” He was apologizing all over the place with her. Being with this chick was like being in a minefield, which was an annoying thing he’d encountered in girls. What happened to the girl that loved talking about flowers?

He recanted his previous opinion of her pleasantness and wished once again that he didn’t need her. Sighing internally, he gathered his gumption and tried to plow on with their afternoon of freedom.

“So,” he said, breaking into what had become a tense silence, “How about me? Can I pick something?”

Gabby pursed her lips for a moment before heaving a heavy sigh, “Yeah.” She relaxed her features, though it looked like it took some effort. “What do you like to do?”

“Aw, I’m so touched that you would think of me!”

Judging by the look on Isabella’s face, it was probably too soon after the tension for him to have made that joke.

“Heh heh, I mean, there’s so much to choose from.”

That sounded lame. He gave it one more try.

“Well, there’s a lot of stuff that I miss, but my favorite was racing horses. I don’t think they make saddles my size though. Can we just go look at them, though?”

“You want to look at saddles?”

“No!” Frog stopped to assess the look on Gabby’s face. Wait a minute. “Was that a joke? Did you actually make a joke?”

Gabby broke out into a musical laugh, which startled him into emitting a strange sounding guffaw. This girl was full of surprises. He hoped that one day, her moods would even out. Based on his experiences though, that might be a lot to expect from a girl.

“Yes,” Gabby said, once she’d stopped smirking. “We can look at the horses.” She gestured with her hand, “They’re this way.” Then she began walking toward the furthest corner of the palace grounds.

“So,” Isabella said, looking back toward Frog as he trailed behind her and, “How did you become a frog?”

 Gabby wondered how Isabella made being polite and friendly look so easy. 

“Does it really matter?” answered Frog.

“I was just curious. If you don’t want to tell us, I understand.”

“It’s actually a really long story. Can I tell you guys later?” He was careful to use a term that would indicate Gabriella’s inclusion.

“I guess you can.” Isabella looked back at him again, “Can you just tell me one thing?”

“Like what?”

“What is your real name?” Isabella asked, “I mean, we call you Frog, but that probably isn’t what your parents named you.”

Not for the first time that day, Frog was surprised by the question. “William, but my friends just called me Will.”

From the front of the line, Gabby listened to their exchange. She silently mouthed his name Will as she committed it to her memory. It felt smooth and warm on her tongue.

Isabella said aloud what Gabby thought next, “It’s nice to meet you, Will.”

Will noticed how pleasant it was to be called by his name again. It had been a very long time. “Yes, well, it’s very nice to meet the both of you. This is probably where I should bow and such, but I’m pretty sure you understand why I can’t.”

Both Isabella and Gabby smiled. At least he had a sense of humor.

Gabby could smell the horses before they could actually see them. The cool autumn breeze was apparently blowing in just the right direction. “Well, here we are,” she said as they rounded the last corner and walked into the barn. It was cool enough outside that afternoon that Gabby knew she would have to start wearing her cloaks and thick underwear again soon, but the barn was surprisingly warm inside. If Gabby ever felt comfortable, she almost felt it then.