Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four
Kegan

A few days earlier...

I was being shaken awake. My eyes shot open to a startled looking Kelsey.

I sat up quickly, alarmed by her expression. It was one I hadn't seen on her before.

"What's wrong?" I asked worriedly, annoyed I had fallen asleep again. I had been working for weeks on a surprise for my mom and it was exhausting me. I had to try harder to stay awake.

Kelsey took a deep breath to calm herself and began talking too quickly for me to keep up.

"Wait, slow down. What's going on?" My voice was rising in panic, something was definitely wrong.

"Grace is gone! Someone took her!" Kelsey was crying now, shaking uncontrollably.

I jumped up, "What do you mean someone took her?" I cried, horrified.

She was trying to control her hyperventilation, "I s-saw someone shove a cloth over her mouth and shove her into their car!"

"We need to call the police!" I shouted, trying to get past Kelsey.

"Wait! I already did, they're on their way. It was a boy that took her! He was in a grey van with blacked out windows and no plates!" She was still shaking, still crying as she wiped her eyes.

I paced back and forth, completely helpless while waiting for the police to show up.

The party had been shut down and everyone had fled, knowing that the cops were going to be showing up at any moment.

"Why aren't they here yet?" I yelled in frustration, kicking a wall angrily.

Brent, the guy who had thrown the party looked shaken. "I don't know, man. They should be here soon." He was pacing as well; no one seemed to know what to do.

"I need to call my mom; she probably has some way to contact Michael and Luisana." I was finally thinking more clearly, trying to fight off the panic.

Once I had talked to my mom, she quickly got off the phone, vowing to get in contact with Grace's adoptive parents at any cost. She apparently had an emergency phone number and was sure they would answer.

When we finally heard the sirens stop outside of Blake's mansion, we rushed outside to meet them. We all began talking at once, trying to relay the problem to them as fast as possible.

The first cop to walk up to the house was a short and fat man, with orange facial hair and light blue eyes.

He held up his hands, "Slow down! In order to help her we need to get all of the information clear. Who witnessed this happen?" He asked, looking at the three of us.

"I saw a guy shove a cloth over her face and throw her into the back of a van!" Kelsey cried, frustrated at the speed things were going.

"You need to calm down, we're going to do our best here but we need to make sure we get all of the information. What did this van look like?" He took out a note pad and wrote down what Kelsey told him, relaying the information back into his radio.

"So it was a white Caucasian man in his late teens or early twenties. Do you recall the colour of his hair, his eyes, or any specific information that may help us find him?" The police man, Sgt. Hardwell asked.

Kelsey nodded quickly, "It was dark, but he had either dark brown or black hair. I was too far away to see the colour of his eyes, and the van was grey with no plates..." She described every detail she remembered and gave her statement, her eyes watering and her voice shaky the entire time. I rubbed her back and tried to calm down myself.

We would find her. We had to.

My phone started ringing and I answered it quickly.

"Hello?" I asked, expecting it to be my mom.

"What is going on? We're an hour away, is there police there that we can talk to?"

It was Michael, and he was furious. I could also hear Luisana crying on the other end of the phone.

"We're doing everything we can. I'll give the phone to Sargent Hardwell... I'm sorry Michael." My voice cracked as the reality sunk in further. I had been the one to bring Grace to this party, and I had fallen asleep. It was my fault.

"It's not your fault. Everything will be alright." He said, sounding almost like he was trying to convince himself. I gave the phone off to the officer and sat down, burying my face in my hands.

Kelsey cried quietly into my shoulder and I heard the other officer ask Brent for a full list of guests that had attended the party.

The police sent an alert to the news letting everyone know to be on the lookout for a grey van, also giving out the description of who had taken Grace.