Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Jaxon

 I had fallen asleep in my Uncle Pete's new hospital room as soon as the excitement died down.

My parents had been visiting too, from the looks of the cards on his bed stand. I always seemed to be missing them. I'd have to go meet up with the boys for our gig in New Jersey tonight. I wanted to say goodbye to Grace first.

I texted my mom a quick 'love you' and started walking down the hall to where Grace's room was. My guitar was securely draped over my shoulder.

I opened the door slowly and walked to her side of the room. The curtain was covering the bed for the first time in the last week. Pulling it back, I opened my mouth to say hello.

"Oh my god," a girl screeched, "you're JAXON TRENT!"

Confused, I did a double take. My mouth hung open in shock as I saw that the girl in front of me was definitely not Grace.

"Um... hi." I said awkwardly rubbing the back of my head. I gave her a small smile and tried to make a fast exit when she grabbed my wrist.

"Wait! Please take a picture with me!" She begged, her brown eyes frantically searching for her phone.

I sighed softly, quiet enough so she couldn't hear and nodded. I grinned when the phone snapped the picture and gave her a quick hug. I really needed to find out what was going on.

Waving over my shoulder, I checked the room number. Yes, it was her old room. So why wasn't she here? Surely she wouldn't have left without saying goodbye, right? I thought that we had something special. True friendship, not based on who I was or how popular she would be if she knew me, but because of who we were as people.

I ran to the information desk and smiled at the woman sitting there.

"Is Dr. Hattie around?" I asked her breathlessly.

The woman looked at me a moment before smiling back. "Oh, you're Jaxon Trent!" The woman gushed excitedly, "My girls love The Galaxies!"

"That's awesome! Now, about Dr. Hattie?" I asked her, trying not to sound impatient.

"Could you sign these napkins for them? Haylie and Kelsey." The woman shoved them at me with a pen. I gave her a quick smile. I'd always make time for fans, but my anxiety to where Grace was at the moment was reaching its peak.

"Of course." I said, signing the napkins.

"Oh, thank you! And about Dr. Hattie, she has already left for her new job."

Realization creeped up on me as a cold chill settled itself on my shoulders.

"Oh... right. Could you tell me if you know where a patient of yours was discharged to?" I asked her hopefully.

"I'm sorry Jaxon, I would if I could but that's our number one rule. Patient confidentiality."

I nodded quickly, trying to keep my temper in check. The Irish in me demanded I make myself heard, but the more reserved, more rational part of me knew that she was just doing her job.

I ran back to my Uncle's room. "Aunt Kim, do you know where Grace is?" I asked her.

My aunt looked at me sadly. "I'm sorry Jaxon, she told me she was leaving last night. After everything that's happened with Pete, I forgot to tell you. The social worker was supposed to give us a way to reach Grace but he never left a card."

My aunt had tears in her eyes. I knew that not having a way to get in contact with Grace was having a heavy effect on her as well.

"What are we going to do now?" I said hopelessly.

I missed Grace more than I thought I would.