Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four
Grace

     I woke up the next morning in a bundle of nerves. Today I was going to find out if they could do anything for my eyes. I was going to find out if I would ever see again.

I couldn't help the unease that settled in my chest, pressing against my lungs.

I felt along the wall to the bathroom in my room and washed my face. I brushed and flossed my teeth and I climbed into the shower-bath that Michael and Luisana had installed so I wouldn't fall on my own.

I sat down and let the warm water massage some of the stress out of my body. I washed my skin and shampooed and conditioned my hair. Feeling refreshed, I turned off the water and grabbed for the bar. I hoisted myself out and grabbed for a towel.

Once I was dried off I felt through my drawers until I had a pair of undies, a bra, a shirt and a pair of pants. Satisfied, I ran a brush through my platinum blonde hair knowing it would dry silky and pin straight.

I pressed the button that supposedly called a housekeeper up to my room to help me to the kitchen. I waited a few minutes before I heard the elevator doors chime.

"Hello, dear!" I heard a woman's voice call.

"Hello," I smiled as I felt her take my arm.

"We've got a big breakfast ready for you, Luisana and Michael are waiting for you at the table. I've heard it's a big day for you." She gushed happily.

"Yes, I'm pretty nervous about it." I admitted shyly.

"Oh, and my name is Nora, please feel free to call me whenever you need anything."

I nodded with a smile still on my face. "Here we are, darling." She said as she led me to a chair.

"Good morning Grace!" Luisana sang happily.

"Did you sleep well?" Michael asked worriedly. "We picked out the softest mattress we could find- although if you want a harder one we can get one as soon as we can."

"Good morning," I beamed, "No, my bed is perfect thank you. I love how soft it is, I've never been able to sleep on a hard mattress."

"Oh, that's a relief!" Luisana said.

Nora hovered over me as she began to place different types of food onto my plate.

"Eat up, love." She said as she left the table.

Once we had finished eating, Michael told me that he would have to go to the studio, but Luisana would go with me to the doctor's appointment.

We drove for about half an hour before we pulled to a stop. She led me through the halls and into an office.

"Oh, hello! You must be Grace. I've heard all about you." I heard a woman say; who I assumed was the receptionist. "Come right this way," She said as she led us into the doctor's office.

I sat on the chair fiddling endlessly with the ends of my hair.

"I know you must be nervous, but either way we'll always be here for you, sweetie." Luisana said gently. I nodded and smiled in her direction.

A moment later a doctor came breezing into the room. "Why hello there, Grace! I'm Dr. Martin and I'll be the one looking after your eyes. Let's take a look, shall we?"

I liked the fact he didn't beat around the bush. I wanted to get this done with.

After about half an hour he had finished with the checkup. He had looked into my eyes with a special device that helped them detect what was wrong with the eye. It also allowed them to see the back of the eyes.

"Well, I've got good news and I've got bad news." He said with a sigh.

I immediately tensed up and felt Luisana grip my hand.

"The bad news is, is that you'll definitely need surgery. The lenses on your eyes are badly damaged and not allowing any light through. The good news is, is that that's all there is. We can replace your lenses with brand new ones. It's quite a common practice these days, especially with cataracts."

My heart was thundering in my ears, ready to pop out of my chest.

"You mean, I'll be able to see again?" I said breathlessly.

"That's exactly what I'm saying. If the surgery is a success, your eyesight may be even better than it was before." He said happily. He seemed relieved himself.

"Oh baby, that's amazing!" Luisana cried; her voice tight with emotion. She embraced me in a hug and I hugged her tightly back.

I felt the tears flowing off my cheeks.

I would be able to see again.

t