Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Grace

  We drove for what seemed like hours. We had been moving at such a slow pace that I found it hard to believe we were going to get there at all.

Will must have seem my expression because he said, "You've now experienced your first Los Angeles traffic jam. They're one of a kind." He said flatly.

I was finding it difficult to like this pessimistic man. But I tried hard to remember what my father always said to me.

Flashback       

     "Smile Grace! You're six now! You want to remember this day right?" My mother cried, trying to snap a picture of me before I blew out my candles.

I frowned. My stupid "friend" Charlotte hadn't gotten me a present. How could she? It was my sixth birthday! I got her something for  her birthday!

 I could see my dad frowning on the other side of the room so I forced the biggest, cheesiest smile I could muster.

I was walking over to Charlotte to give her a piece of my six year old mind when my dad grabbed my elbow.

"Grace, I know you're upset you didn't get anything from Charlotte this year, but you have to remember to always be kind. You don't need a present from everyone, because living is the best gift of all. She's still your friend and she feels bad about not being able to give you a gift. Now I want you to march over there and give her a huge hug." He gave me a push of encouragement and watched until I walked over to Charlotte.

I hugged her loosely, but Charlotte wasn't having any of it.

She crushed me into a hug and said, "I'm sorry I couldn't give you a present. I know you wanted a Barbie." She released me and looked at the ground.

"It's okay. Want to play dolls?" I smiled.

She nodded eagerly and we played until Charlotte and the others had to leave.

My dad came up to me with a smile. "I'm proud of you squirt. Always be kind because everyone is fighting their own battles."

     I didn't understand back then, but Dad had told me that Charlotte's family was in debt and didn't have the money to even buy Charlotte any new toys, never mind myself. Ever since then, I've always been thankful for what I've had. I just wish I'd been more thankful for my family.

We turned off the smooth road we had been driving steadily on and started down a bumpy gravel road.

"Almost there," Will muttered.

I heaved a sigh. Hopefully there are some nice people there. Someone I can talk to before I go crazy of loneliness. I still can't believe Harper hasn't called me. I'm not sure I'll be able to forgive her for leaving me at the worst point in my entire life.

We stopped and Will came around to open the door.

He let me take his elbow again as he lead the way up the stairs. I heard them creak and I hoped that I wasn't entering some sketchy horror movie scene. How cliché would this be?

He rang the doorbell and a minute later the door swung open with a bang. "You must be Grace, the blind girl!" A woman said in a sickly sweet voice.

Oh, god.

Once my bags were lugged away, the woman- whose named turned out to be Petunia, told me that I would be sharing a room with another teen that lived in the house.

 "Thank you." I said with a nod to show I understood. She seemed to be speaking slower to me as if I didn't understand English. I was blind not deaf.

I sighed and asked her where my room was. I was tired and wanted to relax for a while.

"Well, we had the office down here moved upstairs so we could give you a ground level room. Tristan had to move everything down here in order for that to happen. So be sure to thank him." Petunia replied slowly.

I nodded again. "Who's Tristan? Your husband?"

Petunia barked out a sharp laugh. "No, Tristan is your roommate."

"You mean I'm sharing a room with a guy?" I cried in horror.

"I thought you would be thrilled! Most girls would be, you know. And to answer your question, yes you are. There aren't any other girls in the house at the moment. Lucy was adopted last week."

I heaved a sigh. Things just keep getting better and better. She took my arm and walked down the hallway, leading me to what I assumed would be my room.

"You had better get comfortable though, Gabby. You probably won't be adopted any time soon, not to be rude or anything."

"Um, my name is Grace." I said awkwardly.

"Right, Gail." She said as I heard the door close behind her.

"What a snob..." I muttered as I tried to find the edge of my bed.

I heard a chuckle and squealed as I jumped back into the closed door.

"Sorry, my bad... so you really are blind, huh?" A male voice said.

I nodded. "Are you Tristan?" I asked, trying to calm my racing heart.

"The one and only. So why are you in this delightful situation?" Tristan asked lightly.

"My family died in a car crash. I don't have any living relatives so..." I trailed off, trying to sound stronger than I felt.

"Weird, so did mine. I guess we do have something in common." He replied.

"I guess so." I mumbled. "Um, do you think you could lead me to my bed? Just so I don't look like a complete failure."

He laughed heartily. "No problem Grace. And don't worry, you're pretty cute all defenseless and all."

I scoffed. "Blind, yes. Defenseless? No."