October 12th, 2011 (Part Two)

I just had a very interesting chat with Rainbow-Life. Because of that chat, I wanted to post this more in depth blog about the new house.

Stats:

Master bedroom with en suite bathroom made up of a water closet of a shower and toilet. There is a vintage dresser made into a vanity with a single sink outside of the water closet. Across from the vanity is a wide closet that has sliding panel doors that will be going away as we don't like them. The closet space doesn't stop there as there's a 'linen' closet around the small corner that leads into the actual master bedroom which has a 16 plus feet of wall that's painted a deep royal purple color that plays off the taupe color of the other walls. The room is perfect for a king sized bed if we want and a low dresser along with other furnishings.

Hubby's office is the bigger of the two other bedrooms. He needs the space with his huge corner desk with hutch and side table. The room was originally red and reddish orange walls with a half an inch gold painted band half way up the wall with a thick gold band around the top of the walls and over the edge of the ceiling too. We painted that right out to a soft Russ-key Blue. It would have been called Russian Blue had we remembered we found it at Home Depot and not Lowes. His ceiling is fun as it's a soft linen green color. He was worried as I know you all are too now, but it so works! Something fun and funky. 

My studio room is the last bedroom and the smallest of all. You're most likely thinking why I need a studio room? You see, if you hadn't read my profile, then you wouldn't have seen that I sew. I don't just sew, I hold a fashion design certification. I've been professionally trained for two years and worked with sewers for six and a half years. Yeah, I have experience behind me. So I need the space for all my fabrics and not to mention that I paint and do all sorts of artwork. Thus the studio room that will be designed how I want it.

The walls in my studio room weren't as bad as my husband's. A colonial blue was on the walls. Not me. So we painted my room too. Not as weird as his, but so me. A soft lavendar purple painted on the upper part of the walls to my waistline. There I painted a pale butter cream one inch border to break up the two colors I used for my room. For the bottom half of the walls, I got a soft grass green. The room is so girly even without the handpainted swirls that come off from the window outlined in the same soft butter cream. If we have a girl, I'm giving up my room for her as it's ready for one.

Those two secondary bedrooms that are our hideouts share a bathroom that has a tub. The whole bathroom will be redo at some point as we hate it. For me, the pepto pick color paint on the walls are sickening. What were the people thinking with that color? It doesn't even go with the shower curtain they left for it.

The stairs! I have mixed feelings about it... They're wooden stairs that someone painted a five inch border in either side of a burnt burgandy red with a few shades lighter of a color for an innner border of half an inch. On top of the burnt burgandy is a blood red stensile. It's fun and interesting, but does it say 'us'? We'll think about that one for a long time.

On the main level, there is a huge living room. Huge compared to anything I've ever seen before. You know the wall in the master that is 16 plus feet? Well, that is the wide wall in the livingroom with about a 12 foot other wall. At the moment the walls are this tuscan yellow that we don't know if we like the plaster style that they went with with that color. I see the room having a very pale and soft blue that's relaxing. The room could also handle a sofa, a love seat, two armless chairs, a faux firplace that goes against the wall between the chairs, and a reading nook with book shelves. Through in an area rug and a coffee tabel with end tables and that will be the living room.

Go back to the foyer you'll see the large open coat closet. I have a plan in mind to build shoe storage on either side on their own little nooks within the closet. There are no bars for hangers. There are hooks that works just fine for us. The pale canary yellow of the coat closet does work for us. I'll change that soon.

Through the small hall there's a door there that leads to a half bath on the main level. It's small like the hall and has a faux finish that needs redoing. At the moment, the walls are a baby blue and white blotchy thing with baby blue borders to the cieling and on a two inch border on the ceiling. (We noticed they liked doing that). The sink is huge for the tiny powder room, but the toilet fits the size. I already had to do a repair by replacing the broken toilet handle in that half bathroom.

Continuing through the hall you spill out into the dining room. I like the color till I look to the finished kitchen that is open to the dining room. A bright sun yellow brightens the top of the dining room walls that do not go with the deep rich brown of the wooden cabinets and taupe style tiles. The white lower half of the walls with white wood panels were so nice and we're keeping them along with the art ledge.

The kitchen had been completely overhauled like we like was a major plus. Updated appliances and glass doors on a few of the cabinets hits both of our tastes. We just have to deal with that bright yellow color that flows into the kitchen from the dining room.

The backyard is what I fell in love with when I saw the place. The cobble stone patio takes up most of the backyard. No grass! YES!!! There is a stack stone wall around the walking area. The fence is a japanese style with a vine covered gateway out of the yard. The trellace and gate actually form a circle when they're together. All the plants from what I saw are low maintance which is another major plus! Even the japanese maple that is in the center of the raised garden that rest along one low stack stone wall.

Going back inside and through the door in the dining room, we descend into the finished basement. Though it's finished, we're going to redo it. At the moment it looks like a fisherman's man cave from twenty years ago. The entertainment built-in was done using salvaged wood that we'll reuse when we redo it. It was obviously made but a do-it-yourself-er complete with rope handles and outdoor lighting that is awful!!! The bar sits in the middle of the room breaking the room into two areas. The bar is getting changed to be more eye pleasing and functional. The walls will need either removing as they have a thick plaster swirly/messy/thing on them, or we'll have to scratch coat it flat again. The basement will give more bang when we finish it from what it looks like right now.

There is a washer and dryer in a long utility/ storage room that goes the length of the basement behind pub style doors that we are so keeping! Every appliance here had been upgraded and is a pleasure using!

Well... That was a walk through of the new house. Hope you liked it!!!