Day 562

I sat at the picnic table the next morning, gloves snuggly covering my hands, waiting for Carly to show up. She hadn't called me after the party, but if it had gone as she had planned, she wouldn't have been able to call me. She wanted everything to be perfect. She and this guy had met for coffee once, and he liked her style. He invited her to the party, and that was her ticket in.

That party was going to be her way out of here, a massive step up in life. It'd make all our high school parties look like tea and crumpets. It'd make her life innately better.

At least, that's what Carly told me on the phone right before she left her house. Her final words before she hung up were, "I'll see you on the other side, Megan."

I guess she's right. It's not how it appeared at the beginning. You have to understand, it took me a while to realize what she meant, but she had to have known. And I know now, so this next part might be harder for me to write without spoilers, readers. I'm sorry for that.

You see, Carly Jacobs wanted something different.

A cold front had rolled over our town the night before, and the wind pushed against my cheeks making my face numb. Carly was ten minutes late, and I scrunched my nose as I took out my phone. No missed calls, no messages, nothing.

I pulled up my contacts and called her. It rang with no answer.

Shaking my head, I shoved my phone back into my pocket. Maybe she had too much to drink. Maybe she had passed out and stayed overnight at that guy's place. I shuddered at the thought, hoping she wasn't out with some creep by herself. I regretted not going with her, but the bags under my own eyes proved I was no match for an adult party with mature guys. Even without going, I was still fighting a losing battle against sleep.

After waiting another five minutes, I got up and headed inside toward the cafeteria, figuring I could grab some coffee before my class. I yawned while I waited. Scanning the crowd, I searched for any sign of her, but she wasn't here. No glasses, no brilliant dark hair, no free laughter in the crowd.

I filled up a cup with steaming milky sugary coffee-like liquid and tried to come up with the steep four dollars for it. While I was fishing in the bottom of my bag for a few additional quarters to pay, Adam appeared over my shoulder. He handed the cashier five dollars and didn't take the change. The cashier shoved the dollar at me with narrowed eyes.

"Thanks?" I said to both of them.

"No problem. Hey, I wanted to talk to you. Was looking for you all morning, actually." Adam put a hand on my shoulder, guiding me through the cafeteria. I wanted to cringe away from him, but there was something protective about the gesture.

"I get here late," I said the lie automatically. Carly and I had discussed what we'd tell anyone if they asked us why we arrived right when the bell rang.

"Right, but Carly's usually with you, right?"

I took a sip of my coffee even though it was too hot. I wanted to keep Carly's confidence, telling Adam anything would betray her.

"Look, Megan, I'm not stupid. You guys hang out in the morning; it's no big thing. You're friends, you should have time together. But where is she?" Adam dropped his arm from my shoulder once we were out of the cafeteria and in the hallway.

"I don't know. She never showed this morning." I adjusted my backpack, wishing he'd look away from me. His dark eyes stayed steady on my face. My coffee made the cup searing hot, burning my fingertips. The rest of my body went cold.

"Where was she last night? I called her. We talk before we go to bed, and she never picked up." Adam glanced around the room. "Is she cheating on me?"