Day 371

The first day of senior year—my last year in school with Carly—started on a Tuesday. Tuesday is a pretty insignificant day when you think about it, but for some reason, it seems important to put it here. Maybe it's because that particular Tuesday felt like the beginning of the rest of my life.

My therapist and my parents had gotten one thing right—my life did revolve around Carly. Though, for them, it probably seemed like a stupid high school romance. My parents wanted it to be a phrase. But to Carly and I, it has always been so much more.

This year, we had separate homerooms, but we made plans to get to school early and hang out for a few minutes before the start of the day. Carly grinned at me as I stepped off the bus. She bounded towards me, hair whisking away from her face in wild tufts.

"You know," she said, hooking her arm through mine, "we probably shouldn't be seen together because you still ride that smelly old thing." Her nose wrinkled as she looked me up and down. "Are you, Megan P. Whitford, wearing make up?" The way she said my initial made my heart flutter. She knew my middle name, but wouldn't ever tell another soul.

"Just a little eye shadow."

"And liner," Carly said.

"And liner," I confirmed.

Her elbow was warm in mine. She wore a white top that flowed in the gentle fall breeze. Only someone with her dark skin could pull of something chic and still make it look vaguely nerdy, which made me like her more. Over the summer, Carly had traded her thick-framed glasses in for a more sporty, diamond-shaped frame, but they still fit her face perfectly. Seeing her in those reminded me of our first day meeting a year ago. It felt like a lifetime had gone by since then.

"Are you trying to impress someone?" She wiggled her eyebrows, and I rolled my eyes. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were trying to get into Oliver's pants." She leaned against me as she said it, nudging my shoulder with hers.

"You want me to be the girl who vomits on her first day of senior year, don't you?"

"We all need a superlative, right? Might as well give them something to remember you by." She winked, stuck her tongue out, and guided me to the picnic tables around the back of our school. Not many people used them because once the winter came, no one would be caught dead outside—unless they wanted to become a human icicle. Or a snowman.

In the summer, it was too humid. That humidity transversed over to early fall, so no one was outside. It was hot and sticky, with only a light breeze keeping the worst of the damp air at bay. However, Carly and I had a few minutes to ourselves since no one wanted to be outside.

"Won't Adam wonder where you are?" I asked, half mocking.

"Adam can have me for the rest of the day. He made three of our classes line up, so the morning is all for you." Carly sat down on one of the benches, dragging me with her by our linked arms. Our legs pressed against each other despite the heat.

"Why are you still dating him?"

She shrugged. "Would you rather have people ask stupid questions about us or have Adam and I sort of date?"

"Depends. Does Adam know you are sort of dating?"

Carly unlinked our elbows and pressed our fingertips together. With agonizing slowness, her fingers slowly interlocked with mine. She made sure I felt every instant of our hands touching. "He knows once we're out of high school and away from this stupid town, I have no plans to continue our relationship. He also knows you come before he does, as my ultra awesome best friend."

My eye twitched slightly.

A smile quirked on Carly's lips. "Relax, Megan. This is the hardest part. We won't have to sneak around forever. Besides, didn't your parents harass you almost all summer about us?"

Considering they didn't even know we were dating and they still brought up Carly every waking minute of the day, yes, I'd say they were harassing me. "Yeah, but I was still hoping things could be different at school."

"I know what this is about." Her thumb trailed over the top of mine, making my hand tingle. "You want to tell Deirdre to shove it, don't you?" Carly's hazel eyes gazed up at me, locking me in a trance. "If you could show the whole school you are dating me, we'd be voted best couple. Two hot girls dating in high school. One the girlfriend of the prized jock, the other who has been the outcast since day one. It's like... some kind of dramatic television show. We'd win, and then someone would dump pig's blood all over us."

I scrunched up my nose. "Yeah, definitely don't want a real life Carrie."

"Trust me, things are better this way." Moving her other hand behind my neck, Carly pulled me closer. "Besides, this way I can kiss you without any stupid boys watching. This way we can be secretive and sneaky. This way makes things a lot more interesting."

"This way sounds good." I smiled. Senior year was off to a great start.

Carly grinned, nodded, and pressed her lips against mine.

Right then, I forgot about my parents, my therapist, and the people who hated me at school. It was just us, the sweltering heat, and a splintery picnic table. We had one moment which dared to touch the edges of infinity.