Chapter 19: Thorns

When I got home all I could think about is who sent me that note and why. To make things even weirder it was just after that little rose reached out to hurt Malique. Speaking of which he popped out of nowhere, too.

This was all too much for me and I needed answers. I obviously couldn't ask my mom or Adam about it and I didn't want to get Mr. C involved considering all the things he's been through but I didn't know who else to call about this. The only person that came to mind was Daymien since I think I remember him saying he's a thorn. Next thing I knew he was in my room only dressed in boxers falling.

"Ouch! What the hell when did the floor get over here and why is there a rug?"

"How did you get in here?" I asked just as surprised as he was.

"AHHHHH! Oh, Jay why are you in my.....where's my room?"

"I don't know. I was just thinking about needing to talk to someone, then you came to mind. Next thing I know you're here in your....underwear," I said looking down his nice abs. Did I ever mention how toned he was?

He scratched his head and smirked, "It must be one of your developing powers. As much as I would love to stay like this and have you look at me with those eyes, you obviously need to talk about something so let me get some clothes on."

When he walked out of the room I felt Fire whine inside of me. Usually, I tell her to shut up so I can think but I agree with her this time, I wanted him to stay.

About ten minutes later he came back into my room fully clothed, sadly, and sat next to me, "So what did you want to talk about, since you flew me all the way over here?"

I told him the whole story of what happened today which was pretty hard, considering every time I mentioned Malique's name he would growl and crash his arms around me. After about 15 minutes I wad finally able to finish, "So my question is: what do thorns do?"

He says there with a blank look on his face for a minute, " Are you asking me to show you what I can do?"

"Yes"

"No"

"What do you mean 'no'?"

"I mean no I'm not gonna show you what I can do. Not now, not later, and hopefully not ever," he said firmly almost as if he was angry with himself.

"Why not? You can trust me, I promise"

At this, his eyes softened but we're still filled with pain, worry, and anger, "Baby, of course, I can trust you it's just....I don't want to scare you. I don't want to scare you or lose you ever and I can't risk that."

"I won't leave because of what you can do. I told you I didn't care about any of the differences between us before it hasn't changed now," I said now not just pleading for him to tell me but pleading for him to believe that I mean it.

He stays there for a long while just staring off into the distance. I could tell he was at war with himself in his head. Whenever I tried to slip into his thoughts or have Fire communicate with him, he would block me out.

Finally, he seemed out of his thoughts and said, "I will tell you why the road reached out and I will explain to you what it is I am capable of but I will not show you. There's no if, and's, or buts about this. Do you understand?"

"I thought you liked butts."

A slight smile crept onto his face, "Jay, I'm serious,"

"I know I just wanted you to smile. Fine, it's a deal."