Chapter 3: First Day

~picture of Jenny~

Jenny walked me to class and said a few words to the teacher before she left. I stood there awkwardly, not knowing if I should sit down or wait to be told what to do. I sat and stared at a class full of different types of people. It seemed like there was a lot of character in the room, to say the least.

"Attention class we have a new student," the teacher looked at me. "Tell the class your name."

"Uh hi, my name is Jay," I said as I kept my head down.

"In this school, we state our full names," he looked at me with an intent gaze.

"Oh sorry. Jay Rose Bloom," I stammered before I grabbed a seat in the back. I'm almost positive I was beginning to sound like the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.

As soon as my name came out of my mouth all the students had their eyes set on me, but I couldn't figure out why. I was racking my brain to figure it out, but decided to distract myself instead. I looked up and began to study the teacher. His name was Mr. C, and he didn't seem like a normal teacher, so I hoped the class would be interesting. He had spiked hair that looked as if it had a grip of sparkly gel in it. He had, at least, three earrings that had all different shades of green in them. His eyes were green and catlike. He wore mascara that made them pop. He also had tattoos all over his arm and neck as far as I could see. I must've zoned out because next thing I know the whole class is staring at me.

"Do you have the answer, Miss Bloom?" Mr. C stared at me with the rest of the world.

"No, I'm sorry. I'll pay more attention."

With that, he looked away. I sighed and held my head in my hands. Although I don't understand engineering, it's my first day and within an hour, I made a fool out of myself, twice. Usually, I am good at coming up with the general answer for every subject but engineering. In the midst of me wallowing in my self-pity, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. When I look up there was a small girl staring up at me with big eyes.

"My name is Juliet. You can borrow my notes if you need them. The semester just started but in case if you wanna catch up," she said in a voice that sounded like a whisper.

"Thank you so much. Here's my number so you can text me the stuff," I said handing her a paper with my number squiggles on it.

It's lunch time and so far I only talked to 4 people all day, and that mostly comprised of asking for a pencil or asking what the teacher meant by what they said. I walked to the cafeteria and saw the food. After seeing what they served for lunch it was official, this must be the best school ever. They had actual food not a rare form of prison food. I grabbed a chicken sandwich with an apple and a drink and paid for my extra brownie on the side. The cafeteria was full so it was really hard finding a seat. When I noticed there were no seats except for the tables with groups sitting at them I gave up the search. I was never good at the whole making friends part of the school, so I didn't know where to sit at all. I walked towards the back of the cafeteria, hoping I wouldn't end up eating lunch in the bathroom. I opened the set double doors in front of me and walked into the garden.

Outside of the door was a huge willow tree that I decided to sit under. Once I sat down I felt someone's presence next to me. When I turned I saw Juliet looking in my direction. I waved, but for some reason, all she did was look at me as if she had just seen a ghost and ran off. I sat there and wondered what had gotten into the girl, she was so nice this morning. I shook my head and begun to finish my sandwich when I felt eyes on me.

"Hey Rose, come with us," a spunky looking girl said gesturing to her three other friends.

"The names Jay, and where to?" I said wondering why they came up to me in the first place.