Chatper 44

Nothing Happened.

The gun went off and I don't think I'm dead yet. I slowly open my eyes, roll over and see Phil Siez on the ground looking at his gun. It didn't shoot me. I'm not dead.

"No one move." Someone yells into the crowd that went from screaming to silent. It's 6 police officers. Do I want them to save me?

"Drop the weapon." An officer says and scrunches up his eyebrows as if he doesn't know if that was the right thing to say.

"It's not loaded unfortunately. I just found out now." Phil says and looks at the gun and then me.

"Here dad." Victor goes to hand a gun over to his father but the police stop him.

"Drop the weapon." The same officer says again.

"Or what? I don't care, shoot me. I don't want to live anymore." Victor says. "If I'm going down, might as well take this b*itch with me." He points the gun at me.

Then a gun goes off again as the sound echoes through the stadium. My eyes are squeezed shut. I roll over again so my face is on the turf. I'm not shot. Nothing hurts. It had to have been the police shooting. I hear yelling and I scramble to get up. More gunshots go off. I don't dare look back and run to the wall to the stands. I try to pull myself up but I'm too weak. I'm shaking uncontrollably so I can't focus on getting up. Then i feel 4 hands on my arms pulling me up.

It's 2 Dynamite players. The gun shots are still going off and I run up the bleachers. As soon as I feel like I'm a safe distance away I look back down. On the ground is Phil. Victor is holding a gun in front of him facing police. The police weren't prepared for this and don't have bulletproof clothes.

I take a seat in one of the now open seats and focus on breathing. I tune out the gunshots and screaming. I feel someone's hand on my back.

"Hey Miss Carter, why don't you come over here with my team." A Dynamite player asks me and I nod and get up. I walk over to the top of the stadium where the Dynamite is standing.

"Coach! Do you have like a blanket or something?" Another player yells to his coach and seconds later I'm being wrapped in a blanket. I am cold but right now I'm more shaking out of fear and shock. I tune into the screaming and crying of everyone in the stadium. The gun shots have stopped but almost everyone is crying.

"Henry go sit with this girl." A player says and puts a little boy next to me. His eyes were wide with fear but he wasn't crying.

"Hi I'm Henry and I'm scared." He says to me and I look down at him and give him a small smile.

"Me too. I'm Allison." I tell him. "Would you like a part of this blanket?" I ask him and he nods.

"How old are you Allison? I'm 5. This year I started kindergarten. I made a friend named Gal. He is my best friend. Why are you at this game? Do you have a brother too? I am here in this freezing cold because my brother is playing. He is the captain. I call him Franky but he likes to be called Franklin. I don't know why. It's too serious." Henry rambles on about himself.

"I'm 16 and I'm here because I'm playing football. I'm the captain of my team too. I have a brother and 2 sisters." I say and freeze. I just called Jake, Maddie and Avery my siblings. I unconsciously referred to them as family.