Chapter 43

December 18.

Football State Championships.

"Good Afternoon folks nice to have you joining us on this below freezing day in Buffalo, New York. I'm Steve Henderson and this is Tom Androil, today we are featuring the Division A New York State High School Football Championships. The current temperature is -3°F and it feels like -19°F with the wind chill. Flurries are flying out there and both teams are warming up."

"Down below us is the Bolton Central School Dynamite stationed in Ithaca led by senior Franklin Patapora. The other team is the Harbor High School Lighthouses stationed in Greenwich led by junior Allison Carter."

"Patapora has multiple college scholarships lined up for him and is playing his last game for the Dynamite. He's been playing as starter QB since the middle of sophomore year and last year he led the Dynamite to State Champions. They came close in 2014, 2012 and 2010 while losing in the State Championship Finals. They haven't missed the playoffs since 1989."

"This year we have a new team hitting the field. The Harbor High Lighthouses made it into the playoffs in 2000 but this year quarterback Allison Carter has brought them all the way here to Buffalo. Carter is a 16 year old Junior who moved into the school district just this year. She is the first female quarterback to make it into the playoffs and the finals. First week of the playoffs Jason Carter started but left the game with a sprained shoulder and concussion. Allison didn't start because she broke her arm but got permission to bubble wrap her left arm so she could play. She led them from a major trail to a major win. The following weeks she played and defeated rival teams. On the 15th, Carter got her cast removed and she's warming up her arms right now."

"The spreads say right now, Dynamite is going to win by 14 points but some maybe underestimating Allison Carter."

"That could be true Tom. Both teams have remained undefeated throughout their seasons. I predict this will be a close game."

"We are going to head down to the field right now to Jamison Ralm with Allison Carter and Franklin Patapora."

•-•-•-•-•

"Thanks Tom. Hi I'm here with both star quarterbacks Franklin Patapora and Allison Carter. Franklin how do you think your team will preform tonight?" A woman with a short blonde bob asks the boy on the opposite side of her as I am. She is about half a foot taller than me but it could be because she's wearing heels and I'm in cleats.

"I think my team is capable of utterly destroying some Lighthouses today." The boy 'Franklin' responds. His sentence almost makes me burst out laughing. I had to bite my cheek to contain myself.

"And you Miss Carter, do you feel like you are at a disadvantage playing as a girl in an all boys sport?" The blonde turns and asks me. I start jogging in place to get warm.

"I feel like I am more at a disadvantage because of my height and weight more so than being a girl. I don't think being a girl is an issue out here as long as you aren't afraid to get knocked around a bit." I tell her truthfully.

The woman turns to the camera, "Most players are between 5' 10" and 6' 3" and weigh between 140 lbs. to 210 lbs. out here leaving Carter to a disadvantage. She is 5' 7" and 99 lbs." She states proudly because she knows all these statistics. She continues on with her statistics, "Franklin Patapora is 6' 5" and 192 lbs. easily towering over Allison Carter."

"Alright I'm done here-" Franklin starts but blonde lady cuts him off.

"No wait real quick take a picture with Allison Carter." She says and he goes to shake his head no she continues, "It's for charity, both of you sign it and then we will sell it and profits will go to the local Children's Hospital."