Chapter 68: Something Old

Start from the beginning

"And this is our cue to leave..." Tyler mumbled, beginning to walk away.

"Yeah," Alex agreed. "Congrats Bree. Give Stefan our best."

"Same," Sam added.

"Me, too," John said, getting a glare from Amity that scared him right out of the room behind the other guys. 

When they were alone, Bree said, "I'm sorry that you are so against this but it's my decision. I get that you're super Christian and you have this very godly view of weddings and marriage but that's just not me, Amity."

Amity shook her head. "That's what marriage is though! It's not as casual as dating, Bree. You can have your one night of fun with Stefan but is he really someone you want to spend the rest of your life with and make this sort of sacred commitment to?"

"Stefan is great," Bree said.

"I know," she nodded. "I love Stefan. I just don't love the idea of seeing you and him make any mistakes because you didn't wait. Marriage is sacred and—"

"Can you stop saying that?" Bree stopped her. "Marriage is an institution. It's a piece of paper. It's an investment. And it's something I've always wanted to do with someone I love. And I love Stefan. Yes, it's soon. Yeah, we might not know if it'll work out. But we think it's worth a shot and if it doesn't work out we'll still be friends. We know what we're getting into, ok? And I need my bridesmaid with me, so it'd be nice if you could just support this."

Amity looked down at her computer's keyboards. She was feeling so conflicted between supporting her friends and sticking by her values. After taking another calming deep breath she said, "I'm sorry Bree but I just don't know if I can."

Bree nodded slowly, as though she understood, but all she said was, "That really sucks," before ending the video call. 

Stefan walked into his bedroom carrying a trey with food on it for Bree. "Breakfast in bed?"

"It's eleven thirty," she said with a laugh, closing down his laptop and shoving it aside.  

He nodded. "I know that. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't get to treat you to something special."

She smiled and gave him a kiss. After she pulled away, she said, "I just told the tour crew. Amity was... not happy."

"Really?" said Stefan, surprised. "She's, like, our best mutual friend. I wanted her to be my best woman."

"I know, I know," Bree agreed. "I thought she'd be happy for us but she thinks it's too soon. I'm almost twenty-five, this is the age many people want to get married at."

"Maybe she just needs time to get used to the idea," Stefan shrugged. "Your dad seemed a little shaky, too."

Bree shook her head. "It's different. My dad is being overprotective because I'm his only daughter. But Amity... She said she probably wouldn't be able to support it. It makes me really sad but at the same time I don't really care if she changes her mind. Sure, it'd be nice to have her on our side, but once we're married, it won't matter. It'll be you and me against the world."

"Like Scott Pilgrim," he said with a nod. 

"Is that a tractor?" she asked, giving him a look.

"Never mind," he said with a nervous laugh. "I talked to my parents and they said it's fine."

"That's it? It's fine?"

"They're really go-with-the-flow people. My mom knows about you. She said it's shady that you were a coke addict and when I tried to convince her it was Coca-Cola she didn't buy it. But she said you've made something of yourself and you know my parents really value esteem and high profile so they think you're actually too good for me."