Chapter 68: Something Old

"I'm sorry but you can't get married," Amity said as she sat on the tour bus with her computer on her lap. Bree was on the screen, a frown on her face as she heard Amity's response to the engagement news.

"What? Why not?"

"Who's getting married?" said Tyler as he walked into the room. 

Bree tried to get a good view of him but he had walked too far out of the shot. "Sam?" she said. "Hey, get the others in the room so I can tell everyone together."

After Sam had called over the other guys, they cramped around Amity to get on the screen. "What's this all about?" Alex asked.

Bree took a deep breath and then said, "You'll be seeing it all over the media soon once we make the official announcement but I wanted my friends to hear it from me first."

"Where are you?" Sam interrupted.

"Yeah, that doesn't look like your house," John agreed.

"I'm actually at—" Bree began.

She was interrupted by Tyler, who said, "What time is it anyway over there?" 

"We're on our way to New York," Alex told him. "It's the same time zone."

"Oh," Tyler said.

"Just let her talk!" Amity exclaimed, clearly a bit high-strung.

The guys shut up so Bree said, "I'm at Stefan's house. I've been here all morning."

"Stefan?" said Sam. "Why?"

Bree smiled and said, "We've been seeing each other for a very short time and last night we got engaged."

Amity looked away as the guys took a few seconds to react. John was very stoic, Alex seemed confused, Sam was happy, and Tyler just looked at the others wondering how he should react. After three seconds, he went with happy.

"I'm glad at least two out of five support this," Bree sighed. "Though I would've really liked all of my friends to be happy for me."

"It's not that," Alex shook his head. "I'm just confused. Why are you suddenly getting married if you just started seeing each other?"

"Are you pregnant?" John asked.

Bree gave him a look. "Of course I'm not. Unlike Sam, Stefan understands the concept of condoms."

"Hey!" Sam exclaimed.

"It's true," Bree said. 

"This does seem a little shotgun-y," John admitted suspiciously. 

She shrugged. "Maybe. But it's not that. We're two people who just feel that this is right and don't care about how long you're 'supposed' to wait. Some people marry each other the day they meet and live happily ever after. Others marry after a decade of courtship and fall apart. We're going to take the risk. And I know it's very fast but we both really want this, ok? Sam, you get it, right? You're proposed to like every girl you've ever dated?"

Alex smiled at Sam and said, "That's also true."

"Ok, ok, stop with the personal attacks," Sam laughed along with them. "I said I was happy from the very start."

Bree saw that John still looked unsure and said, "John, you of all people should understand. You proposed to Leila in the heat of the moment."

"Yeah but—" John began.

"That was clearly a mistake!" said Amity, unable to hold her tongue any longer. "He's not with her anymore, is he?" When everyone turned to look at her in surprise by her reaction, she did her best to calm down and said, "Bree, I love you. You know I do. But... This is just... Insane. I can't think of another word that suits the situation better. Marriage is sacred. It should be reverent and special and something you will only do once when you know you're ready. It's a beautiful joining of two people by an unbreakable bond under the eyes of God, not just something you decide you'll try out one day and return if you don't like it. It's not a pair of shoes or a dress at the department store, Bree. I'm disappointed that you're not taking this more seriously."