Replacement

"The queen is too young to have a baby," the Jack of Clubs said. "She's only sixteen! God knows her mother wouldn't approve!"

Unfortunately for him, the King had rounded the corner at this very second. The Jack didn't notice, but the Ace did, and he held his tongue.

The Ace, Robbie, was new, but he was clever. He caught on easily, and was extremely quiet. Quietness was typically not a good quality for the commander of the military, but Robbie had a certain calm yet scary demeanor that made others follow his orders.

The Jack however had been there for years, and Carter wasn't a hundred percent sure what his name was.

All he knew was that if this Jack didn't shut his mouth, he'd say something he'd regret.

"I mean honestly," the Jack continued. "She married a twenty year old! By Clubs law, they aren't even allowed to consummate their marriage, let alone have a child! If we have a King and Queen who can't even follow the law, how are we going to have a good Kingdom?"

Carter cleared his throat, deciding he had heard enough. The Jack spun around and his face paled, starting to shake from his head to his toes.

"Clubs law," Carter said calmly. "States that any person over sixteen years of age may have sexual intercourse with anybody at most four years of age older than them."

The Jack nodded. "Y-Yes sir," he squeaked.

"Taelyn and I were married on her sixteenth birthday, but our marriage is none of your business."

He glared right at the Jack, who froze under the icy blue gaze of his usually happy, go-lucky King. "I'd suggest you start packing your things," he said. "I'll be in conversation with the Queen, and if you want to avoid one of her mood swings, it'll do you well to high-tail it out of here."

The Jack squeaked and ran off towards his quarters. Carter sighed and straightened his tie. "Oh dear," he said. "Hopefully we don't have an disloyal staff, do we Robert?"

Robbie shook his head. "No sir," he said. "I don't question those above me. Momma taught me that the hard way."

Carter smiled. "She sounds like a wonderful woman. That man coulda used a woman like her."