Fifteen

Princess Taelyn was fifteen years of age, and she was already training herself to run the Kingdom of Clubs.

And she was going to run it without a King, because she was a strong, independent woman who didn't need a man.

There were only a handful of options for her anyway, and she didn't like a single one.

There was Cliff, the Prince of Spades, who was okay in looks, but was also a stuck-up, selfish, snotty brat. She despised him with every fiber of her being.

Prince Benjamin of Diamonds was another option, and a better option, but he had shown no sign of returning her flirting, and he was quite a bit older than her anyway. That didn't mean she couldn't have a silly little childhood crush on him, did it?

At fifteen, she had decided that she didn't need a King, she'd be the Queen of Clubs all by herself.

She would stand in front of her mirror and say, "I am Princess Taelyn, soon to be Queen of Clubs, and no one is more powerful or strong as I."

Then one day, she learned how young and naïve she really was.

Running through the rose gardens, Taelyn had run into someone, knocking her to the floor.

"So sorry about that," a voice said. "Didn't see ya there darlin'!"

Taelyn looked up. What nerve! Who dared called the Princess of Clubs "darlin'"?! She'd have his head, she'd throw him in prison, she'd...

She'd have said something, but all of a sudden, the young man offering his hand to her had her heart.

She carefully took his hand and stood, brushing the dust off of her skirt. "Truly sorry," the boy continued. "I was just walking 'round the castle for a little. My mom and dad are in there negotiating or dealing or something."

Taelyn nodded, finding herself lost in his sea blue eyes and hoping never to find her way out. She shook her head suddenly. "What?"

The boy laughed. "I said, my name is Carter Calhoun. And yours is?"

She smiled and drew herself up to her full height of five feet and one inch. "Princess Taelyn Hayes," she announced. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Carter's eyes widened and he stepped back, bowing deeply. "Very sorry, Your Highness!" He said. "I didn't realize it was you! I don't really recognize you without your lavish party dresses and jeweled tiaras."

Taelyn smiled brightly. "Well, I am myself," she said. "And you're forgiven for knocking me to the ground. But, you'll have to give me something in return."

"Anything, what would you like?"

She looked around. The blonde loved to do this to servant boys all the time. Send them on quests to find something and tell them that they had gotten the wrong thing whenever they came back. "Find me the most beautiful flower in the garden," she stated.

Carter gave her a sly smirk. "But my Princess, the most beautiful blossom in the Kingdom of Clubs is the one I see before me," he stated. "For not even a rose could enhance your beauty, Your Highness."

Taelyn's smirk faltered and she blushed brightly. The servant boys never said anything like that before. She regained her composure and looked him in the eye. He may have been at least six inches taller, but she knew she had control. "Sir Carter," she said. "I believe you have proven yourself worthy of my companionship, and maybe even my affection. Come see me at tomorrow, alone, in this very spot, at this time."

She adjusted his tie and winked. "Don't be late." She stayed only for a couple seconds to watch his cheeks flush bright red, before she giggled and flounced away.