Mission Failed

Adelaide couldn't get past the damn guard. He was stationed at the castle doors, looking around. She couldn't sneak past him. She couldn't even get out of the rose bush she was hidden in.

The Kingdom of Clubs was asleep. She couldn't see a single light on. She carefully snuck closer to what she assumed was the kitchen window. Ever so slowly she inched it up and pulled herself up and through the window.

Adelaide tumbled in, falling on something hard and bony. The something gave a loud cry and she stood up quickly, looking down.

"Intruder!" The something - make that someone - cried. "Guards! There's an intruder!"

Adelaide panicked and tried to open the window, but the window wouldn't open from the inside. She then took a look around the room and realized what it was. She slipped her messenger  out of her pocket and quickly sent a message to the others.

The light flicked on and yelling engulfed the whole room. Adelaide dropped the device and crushed it with the heel of her boot, swallowing her fate.

Guns were aimed at her head, swords were drawn and ready to be used. She was surrounded, no way out.

Adelaide put her hands up. "I demand a fair trial," she stated, trying not to shake, trying to be tough. "I have the right to a fair trial."

The head guard started to say something when someone cleared their throat. The guards parted and in walked the King of Clubs.

"While it is true that you have the right to a trial," he said in his smooth, sultry voice. "You also must be questioned. And as King," he stepped forward and his glare iced over. "I have the right to change anything I like in the Constitution."

Adelaide met his glare, digging her nails into her palms so as not to shiver in fear. "Ask all you'd like," she said. "You'll never get shit from me. As for your little secret," she smirked. "By tomorrow, the whole Four Kingdoms will know, and my how the mighty fall."

The King raised his eyebrows. "I'm the King," he said. "I can do anything I'd like. As for this, my own children and wife don't know. How will anyone else find out?"

"Oh they will," she said, smirk growing wider. "And you'll fall."