The Proposal

Judy went down to the kitchens every morning at six o'clock when Eli was finishing baking. She would sit and talk with him until his shift was over, watching him as he made little creations from the extra dough and baked them. He gave them to her to eat, but she often refused because of how cute they were. He'd clean off the island and wash the flour off his hands, sometimes trying to shake it out of his hair.

"Do you really think that'll work?" She asked one day as he jumped up and down to knock some of the flour off.

"It has before," he answered, still hopping in place. "Besides, doesn't hurt!"

Judy giggled and stood next to him. She jumped up and down next to him, crossing her arms across her chest.

Eli laughed and grabbed her hands, spinning her around with him. The Princess wrapped her arms around his shoulders and clung to him for dear life.

"Don't be scared Your Highness," Eli soothed, carefully placing his hands on her waist. "I've gotcha, you won't fall."

Judy smiled and kissed his cheek softly. "Eli, I've got something to tell you," she said. "I had to choose an application for King of Hearts, and...would you like to see the winning application?"

He nodded. "Course I would. And I'll support you whole-heartedly, whatever your decision."

Judy took her arms off his shoulders and reached into her bodice, pulling the folded up piece of paper from right over her heart. "No pockets," she explained as she unfolded it.

"I'm not judging," he answered.

When she got the paper unfolded, she passed the paper to Eli. She bit her lip nervously, hoping that he would like her choice.

Eli's eyes scanned the paper, looking from top to bottom. "This..." he mumbled. "This is my name...this is my application...Y-Your Highness...?"

The Princess stepped forward and placed a hand on his shoulder. She gave him a bright smile. "Call me Judy," she answered. "Please."

Eli's confused expression slowly changed into that of glee as he hugged her tightly and spun her around, kissing her cheeks. "Of course," he answered. "Oh shit, I just covered you in flour."

"It's alright," she laughed. She reached a hand up to cup his cheek, rubbing flour off his nose with her thumb. "You really get covered with this stuff, don't you?"

He smiled and kissed her forehead before holding her to his chest. "I promise, you won't regret this."

"I never said I would."

He grinned even brighter, showing off his bright white teeth. "So, Judy, m'lady, my beautiful fiancée," he bowed deeply and kissed her hand. "I'll still be willing to bake for you, whenever you'd like."

"Oh that won't be necessary," she said. "Kings have much better things to do than bake."