36: Unexpected Alliances

Luckily, the kitchen was on the same floor I was on. I found it within ten minutes, and almost walked back out at the sight of it. There were so many ingredients it was scary.

"Thorin, what the quiznak are you trying to do to me man?" I muttered.

I slowly walked to the front of the room, and one long dining table appeared before me. There was one large leather book in the center, and my fingers brushed over it. I began to put my hair in a bun.

"You can do this Andiel. You've got this," I cracked my knuckles.

The book was in Khuzdul.

I didn't know Khuzdul.

Problem number three: how to make dwarvish dishes with a foreign language.

Christ, I thought, what the hell am I gonna do now? Kili should have come with me; he would've been able to read everything to me. What if we weren't in a mountain, but a little house? And two children were running around and we were bustling in the kitchen giggling and kissing like a married couple.

I spaced out and stared at the sink. I can't have that. I couldn't want that. There were way too many risks and uncertainties if my life were to play out that way.

I'm sorry... Kili.

My head snapped back and the lights went out.

When I woke up, I was in pain. I sat up with a groan and when I put my hand down on the floor, I was zapped. My mouth opened in pain but no sound came out. I yanked my hand away and held it.

"What the hell?" I whispered and stared at my shaking skin.

I ran my other hand over it and someone else's thoughts ran through my mind.

What was that? Mahal, my head hurts.

My eyebrows furrowed and I thought, Kili?

A pause.

ANDIEL?! IS THAT YOU?!

I winced. I am guessing you can hear me by the octave of your voice.

Sorry... sorry. How is this happening?! I'm not speaking, but I can speak perfectly! And I can hear you as well.

I couldn't stifle my chuckle. Yes, you can. And I honestly don't know how. Are you alright?

Yes! Of course, amrâlimê. Are you?

I nodded, then realized he couldn't see me.

Yes, I am fine as well. Why didn't Thorin manage to tell me this whole cookbook was in your native language and not mine?

Ooo. A pause. Should I send for one of the company? I believe Dwalin will still give you some grief about last night.

Yes, so do I. I sighed. If you can, it would help a lot. I don't even know where to start.

How is this happening? This is impossible.

Well how can it be if it's happening right now, silly? I do not know either. I paused. Could you not tell anyone please, I don't want any of my abilities getting out.

Okay, I will not tell a soul. In the meantime, I shall fetch Dwalin. I don't know how I'm going to get past my uncle.

I grinned. I love you.

And I love you, Amrâlimê.

It was just a waiting game after that.

"Is the lass a damsel in distress?" A voice sounded and I turned around.