Chapter 4

----

Recap

"It's my turn but I'll let it slide. Well I left my podunk town for the big city just like thousands wish to do. I worked as a bartender, moved up, had a partnership half owning a club, they dropped out I kept going and ta-da Cloud 9 was born." He motioned like he did a magic trick. "So my turn, why did---"

The pounding on the door interrupted his conversation. "Its 4 in the morning why would anyone be here?"
--------

"You talk and I'll open, just in case, okay?" He looked worried and a bit puzzled.

"Sure," I replied somewhat in a panic voice. I went to the door and grabbed my bat getting ready to swing if I had to. "Who is it?"

"It's the NYPD ma'am can you open the door? We have a few questions." I could hear the mans voice muffled by the door. I put my bat away.

"Cole go sit down and I'll take care of this." I didn't want him to hear me get bitched at because my neighbor is a light sleeper.

I opened the door, "Is there something I could do for you officers?" I asked. There where three cops, which to me was a little much for a noise complaint.

"We apologize for the time but we have some questions about a murder." One of them asked.

"A murder? Wait what? Who?" my blood turned cold, afraid that it would be someone I knew. Again.

"Have you seen this man?" The officer handed me a picture. My heart stopped and I couldn't catch my breath. "This man was found murdered outside Cloud 9."

"I.. I.. I don't understand. He's not dead, he's right here." I peeked back to my couch.

The three men barged in with a woman coming in after them. "John, we figured it was you, what do you think you're doing? You know she can't help you."

"Help me are you fucking kidding me, I was going to take her to Jade. I don't need help, there's nothing wrong with me. Now if you excuse me I'll be finishing my job." He pulled a gun and raised it to their direction. Take me? And who is Jade? I didn't do anything, and help him? What the hell am I, a shrink?

"BLAKE!" the woman shouted, and then fast as lightning I was on the ground with the crushing weight of something on my chest. I couldn't breath my head was pounding and my ears were ringing. I opened my eyes trying to focus on my surroundings. Everything was blurry and there was movement but I couldn't make out what it was. I turned over coughing trying to get more air. Whatever was on my chest was off now. I looked toward my living room seeing four people. The woman was still by the door she was saying something and I couldn't make it out. I looked toward the group of men in my living room, Cole or John whoever he was had a gun and the three cops had what looked like swords in their hand. Swords! Really! At a gun fight! Since when do cops carry swords! My mind was panicking and my heart was racing I felt a hand on my shoulder I looked to see a woman talking to me.

"Ar__ Y__ O_? Are you ok?" I nodded in response trying not to shake my head too much. I looked back to the men trying to make out there conversation but it was impossible.

THUD. CRASH. My TV was smashed, my wall almost gone. I crawled toward the door to get a better view cuz my kitchen bar was in the way. With my still blurry vision, I saw 2 men were standing with their swords in hand then I looked on the floor there was a huge odd shaped creature on Cole growling and snapping. BANG the gun went off and I heard a yelp and a scream. I looked back to see this thing I thought was a dog stand 8 ft tall over Cole holding him down with his foot on his chest and Coles bloody hand that held the gun in its mouth. Then in one swift liquid motion one of the men sliced the man's head off.

I screamed the loudest blood curdling scream I could muster up. The windows began to shatter and blew glass everywhere. WHAM. Again with the cement slab on my chest and handover my mouth, I began to whimper, my tears soaked my face. I was next, I saw them kill him, and now I was next.

"Blake you can let go of her." The woman said. "It's ok you're safe. But you have to come with us ok." I tried to breath but I could only hyperventilate.

"SAFE! SAFE! ARE YOU FUCKIN SHITTING ME!! YOU JUST HACKED THAT GUYS HEAD OFF AND YOU WANNA TELL ME I----" Instantly a hand was over my mouth. I looked at the perpetrator. I would usually admire his looks but it wasn't a good time to be checking out men.

"Now look, we understand your upset but we need to talk. So you are coming with us." The woman started to walk away and stopped. "Blake you get the girl, Daniel you get her clothes and necessities, and Chris grab John.. And his pieces and I'll meet you all in the car."

I was lifted in the air like a feather, all 145lbs of me. He carried me bridal style down the stairs trying not to hit anything on the way down. I turned a looked up at him I felt like a small child in his arms and I must have looked like one to he was about 6'4 and I was only 5'1. He climbed into this van setting me down in the far back seat to stretch out. "You need to rest." Was all he said his voice was deep but nurturing. He turned to find his seat belt.

I tilted my head up and he looked back and glared at me, "Who are you?"

"I'm Blake now please get some rest." I didn't want to anger him anymore, so I closed my eyes and took a couple deep breaths hoping sleep would take me.
_________________
I do not own the photo nor did I create it. The photo is by Tom Wood: Fantasy Art.