The Confrontation

Cassie's POV

Just as I was about to ask Alex what he was talking about, the bell rang.

"Can't we finish this conversation later, Alex. Besides, Mrs. Hooper and the gang will get suspicious if they notice we're not in class", I pleaded with him.

"Later it is, but you better not run out on me this time", he teased.

"Whatever, let's just go", I muttered as we walked towards class.

End of the Day

Once the bell rang signaling the end of the day, I ran out of my classroom. I wanted to stop at the library so I could have a ton of books to read over the weekend.

I managed to finish the rest of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I can't believe that Harry-oh, no spoilers right? I know I hate when that happens, so I won't say anything. Still, I couldn't believe the series was over and I was planning on talking to Meg about it since she was my book buddy.

As I searched the library for new books, I found The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chboksy on the bookshelf, so I immediately grabbed it and walked over to the comfy bean bag chair in the corner. Meg said it was a good book, so I decided to give it a read.

I got so lost in the book that I lost track of time and Mrs. Henderson said that the library was closing for the day. So, I scrambled to find the rest of the books I was looking for, checked them out and headed out to the front of the school.

By this time, all of the buses stopped running, so I had to walk back home. I didn't mind too much though because there was a slight breeze in the air and the temperature wasn't too cold or too hot.

I stared up at the sky, gazing at the huge gray clouds clumped together covering up the sun. The wind began to slightly pick up, but for some reason, I couldn't stop looking at the view. Ever since I was little, I always loved being outside right before it was about to rain.

Rain washes away things, for me, it helps to wash away any troubles or fears I'm having that day and look forward to the rainbow in the end. As I felt tiny raindrops descend onto my face, I let out a deep breath and let the rain wash away my troubles. Even for a few minutes, I was able to push away the feelings I had for Alex and forget the fear of what will come of our friendship now that he knows my feelings.

Unfortunately, reality never waits for when people are ready for it, it comes when you least expect it. It slaps you in the face when you least want it. My mother always tells me that you can never fully run away from your problems, they'll always be there right behind you. Just keep your head up high and confront them.

In my case, reality hit me with a shout.

The rain pounded the pavement harder, lightning flashed and illuminated the entire sky. Last but not least, came the boom of thunder, as if it was shouting to the world it's anger.

"Cassie! What the hell are you doing walking in this weather? You're going to get sick, get in the car now", Alex shouted from inside of his car.

"I'll pass, mom, but thanks for the suggestion", I teased him with a smile.

"Cass, you're literally surrounded by a bunch of trees. Haven't you paid any attention in your science classes?", he asked with frustration in his voice.

"You know what, it doesn't matter. Just get in the car. Besides, we still need to finish our conversation from earlier", Alex said.

"I'm close to home anyways, what's the point in getting in the car if we are practically near home anyway?", I asked him.