James looked at me over his shoulder with an evil smirk.

“Since you said ‘please’.”

Not a second passed before James drew his arm back and swung it forward, coming into contact with Niall’s jaw. Niall’s head whipped to the side as he groaned out loud. He grabbed James’ arm that was still grasped in his shirt and tried to pry it off but he was too weak against James.

“James! Stop! You’re going to kill him!” I yelled. I was surprised no one outside could hear us. But then again, we were in a run down motel that no one in their right mind would stay in. We were probably the only one here with the owner all the way on the other side of the motel.

“That’s exactly what I was hoping to accomplish, my dear.”

A rush of adrenaline washed through my body as anger grew inside of me. I tried as hard as I could to free my hands from the tight bind of the ropes around my wrists. I could feel the rope digging into my skin but I just made myself numb to it as I tried to free myself.

I had to save Niall.

I could see his eyes rolling to the back of his head as James threw two more punches at him. Blood was now coming out of his nose and mouth and his eye was swelling up. 

Just when I thought my hand was going to rip off of my wrist, one of my hands broke free and I quickly used it to untie my other hand. I stayed quiet as I quickly tried to untie the rope around my waist and ankles. Once I was finally free, I grabbed the lamp off of the side table, walked over to James. 

James realized what had happened and he let go off Niall causing him to fall to the ground. James marched over to me and he was about to grab me before I brought my knee up as hard as I could, hitting him in his groin.

He doubled over in pain as he groaned and, not wasting a second, I brought the lamp up before bringing it down with all of the strength I could gather. I heard a loud crack as it came into contact with his skull before it smashed into a million pieces.

He immediately fell to the floor unconscious.

Niall was still conscious but I could tell that he was slowly losing the battle. I quickly ran over to him and got down and pushed Niall so he was lying on his back. I could feel his breath getting shallow and his pulse weakening.

I grabbed both sides of his face with my hands.

“Niall. Niall, stay awake. Open your eyes. Niall. Niall!” My voice started to get frantic as I tried to get through to Niall. I started to cry again as I rested my face in the crook of Niall’s neck. I fell limp on his chest as my sobs wracked through my body. I took one of my hands and ran it slowly through his hair. Instantly, it brought back many memories of when we’d hold each other and I would be doing this exact same gesture. 

Shooting straight up as realization came into my head. I looked around the room for my phone. I remember James throwing it on the bed after he talked to Niall. I quickly got up and ran to the bed. I grabbed the phone with shaking hands before unlocking it. I quickly clicked on Harry’s name and brought it up to my ear, trying to take deep breathes to calm myself down. 

Harry picked up after the first ring.

“Isla? Is that you? Are you okay?” he spoke quickly and worriedly.

“I’m fine. But you need to come help me. James is unconscious right now but Niall--he…he’s--I don’t…just come. Please! We’re in the motel on Queen and Bell. Please hurry!” My voice went shrill, I couldn’t think properly and I was starting to sound belligerent.

“Okay, we’ll be there right away!”

“And call the police. Just tell them what you know. I have to make sure that Niall’s okay.”