Chapter 43

Isla’s POV

I woke up after a long night of tossing and turning and forced myself to get out of bed to prepare for the day. I was already feeling nervous about today but I was also feeling anxious. I will finally be finding out the truth about why everyone kept secrets from me but that made me nervous at the same time because I know that I will feel guilty once again for not hearing them out before I ran away.

I slowly got up and went to the bathroom to freshen up. I could smell El making breakfast from downstairs as I crossed the hallway to get to the bathroom. It was now 9am and everyone was going to meet here at Lou and El’s place at 10. 

I washed my face and brushed my teeth before going back to the room that I was staying in and got dressed and put on some makeup and did my hair. After I looked in the mirror and decided that I looked as presentable as I could be, I made my way downstairs to the kitchen. 

I entered the kitchen and saw El in front of the stove and Louis setting up the table in the connecting dining room.

“Good morning,” I said. I walked over to the dining room table to help Louis set up the table.

“Good morning, love,” El said, looking at me over her shoulder.

“Did you get a good sleep?” Louis asked. 

“Yes, I did,” I lied. I couldn’t tell them the truth or they’d worry about me. I was staying at their house and I didn’t want to complain about not being able to sleep when it wasn’t their fault.

Louis smiled at me before going back to setting up the table. “That’s good. Well, sit down, breakfast is almost ready. We thought we’d make you something special.”

“You guys didn’t have to do all of this for me,” I said. I felt bad that they went to the trouble of making me breakfast. I would’ve settled for a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice. 

“Oh, don’t worry about it,” Louis said. “El never makes me breakfast, so I won’t starve today like I usually do. It’ll be for the both of us.” 

“Hey!” El exclaimed before taking a strawberry and chucking it at Louis’ head.

Louis pretended to be hurt and started rubbing his head. “See what I have to deal with. And it’s only morning.”

I laughed as I watched El trudge over and smack Louis in the head once again but this time with the spatula. 

“Stop it or I won’t give you any food,” El threatened but you could see the playfulness in her eyes. 

“I told you. See, she starves me,” Louis said. El opened her mouth, about to retort to Louis’ comment before Louis quickly gave El a peck on the lips, stopping her words.

“I’m kidding, my love,” Louis said, looking into her eyes with so much love that I had to look away.

I finally looked back after a few moments and saw El looking a little flustered. “You…you better,” she stuttered. They continued to stare at each other before El pulled away from his gaze and went back to the stove. 

Louis sat down on the other side of me and got out his phone and started playing with it. A few minutes later, El came over to the table carrying a plate filled with stacks of pancakes in one hand and a bowl of fruit in the other. She placed it on the table and sat down beside Louis.

Louis turned off his phone and put it to the side. “Dig in,” he said, holding out the pancakes to me. I took two pieces and put it on my plate before pouring syrup on it. I cut off a piece and ate it, savouring the rich taste.