Chapter 14

Janie's POV

Here we were again, the cat chasing the mouse. Quite a dangerous game when werewolves were involved. As of right now, I was laying in his bed, on the brink of unconsciousness, struggling to fight the warm feeling that surrounded me. Brendan's arm was wrapped around my waist, and his snores rung gently throughout the room. The dark blush covering my cheeks was probably distinctive even in the dark.

Four Hours Earlier

My feet padded across the house, as I heard Brendan coming up behind me. Going out the door hadn't worked out so well for me, it was almost if Brendan could see what I was about to do from miles away. By now, I had passed the kitchen, dining room, living room, and I think I just ran around the kitchen counter again. I could never be sure in this maze of a house.

"Janie! Hey, oh gosh, Janie!" I could only hear amusement in his voice, but I knew underneath there was a simmering anger somewhere underneath the playfulness. Wether it be about me trying to get outside, or that boy touching me, something made him blow steam. Rushing up the stairs, I looked for anywhere to hide from Brendan, hoping he wouldn't be able to hear me. Opening the first door, I shut it quickly behind me, and turned around in horror when I realized just who's room I landed in.

Diving under the covers, I curled into a ball and let a small giggle slip. I was basically playing hide and seek with the "big bad werewolf." How could you not see it as funny. It felt really good to not have to worry about someone actually hunting for you. Being happy felt really good. Hands wrapped around me and the covers pooled at my waist as I was lifted up by none other than my mate.

How had he gotten in here without me hearing him? Curse him and his sneakiness.

I squirmed in his grasp, still laughing at the fact we had just done something without me having the pounding urge to run away. And by the look in Brendan's eyes, he came to the same realization. He sighed and pulled me onto his lap. I quickly noticed that his easygoing behavior had ended. Turning myself so I was facing him, I frowned at the slight scowl on his face. Even though I hadn't known him for long, I knew how much I cared for him. Even though the thought terrified me, I knew deep inside I couldn't avoid it.

"Janie, I want you to know that I will protect you forever, and I'm sorry if anything I've done before has contradicted that. You are my soul mate, and I will cherish you forever. However, when Joey touched you-" I cut him off.

"Who's Joey, Brendan?" He looked down at me, smiling.

"Joey's my brother and beta. He just so happens to be a hormonal guy with no mate so I want to keep you from him, for a while at least. When he gets used to you, he should be fine." He mumbled something under his breath, and it resembled something like, damn hormones.

His eyes snapped up to mine and he continued with what he was saying before I interrupted. "As I was saying Janie, I understand that it's not my place, but there's something in my bones that hates me seeing you with anyone other than me. I know that's selfish, but I want you all to myself." I blushed at this, feeling something within me grow at the fact he just affirmed that he loved being around me.

"But seriously, I need you to hear me when I say this. I will not hesitate to keep you under lock and key if you keep on running from me. I was placed on this Earth to love you and only you. That job gets kinda hard when the one person I'm supposed to cherish forever keeps leaving me. I can help you and keep you safe Janie when you are with me. If you are out in the dark wandering the woods, there's no telling what could happen to you."