Chapter 1

The slap sounded across the house for all of the pack to hear, but no one came running to my rescue, not now, not ever. My father stood over me, smirking as I brought my hand up to my face to feel the blood dripping down my cheek. As he raised his hand to smack me again, I flinched away from him, only to earn a worse beating later in the day. As soon as he declared himself finished with me, I dragged myself to my room, falling up the stairs as I tried to get away as far as I could from the monster a floor below.

I knew I would only enjoy peace for a few moments as I collapsed onto the ground, heavily panting from fear. My brain knew what was coming next, but I was still surprised when the front door closed. I hurriedly tried hiding behind my chair in the tiny edge of my shoe box room.

I cowered into the corner of my small room as soon as I heard the heavy clomps of my older brother coming down the hallway, his body itching to feel my bruised face under his calloused hands. If possible, my back pressed even farther into the wall, wanting nothing more than to get away from my life. My door slammed open as he finally entered, sealing my fate.

"Janie, I swear I told you to clean my room yesterday, and when I came home, it was the same as it was two weeks ago!" He all but screamed towards me. I had truly meant to pick up, but I had fell asleep as soon as I had finished making dinner for the pack. Now, I was facing the price of my reckless actions.

Dylan, the demon I came to know as my brother, bounded towards me, lifting my body and throwing me across the room. My body landed with a sharp crack, filling me with searing pain. I whimpered, closing my eyes, trying to imagine that I was anywhere but here. For years, I have been hoping that I was with my mother, laughing as we ran through the beach. The kicks and throws kept coming, and I tried doing anything to get my mind away from the nightmare that has developed into my life.

***

The night was slowly passing me by as I withered in pain that was left from Dylan. For hours now, I had been praying that my werewolf healing would help me for once, but I was sadly let down. My eyes roamed the ceiling, cringing as I felt a new wave of pain push through my body. I covered my mouth with my hands to cover my sobs, praying that no one would hear me.

I knew that what was happening to me was wrong, but I was an unmated nineteen year old girl that had the will power and strength of a ten year old. I was useless to my family, especially after "the accident". I was seen as the person that crumbled a family with her bare hands, laughing as she did so. I was a monster to everyone, even to the kids younger than me.

I tried to repay them, oh I tried so hard. At first, I understood that nobody would want to be near me, so I did what I could do, trying to keep my hands busy by making meals and keeping the house clean. After a couple of years, my cooking and cleaning acts were becoming noticed, my father telling the pack that I was now a slave to them, bound to do whatever I wanted, no matter what.

Being thirteen, I only realized that I was finally getting the karma I deserved, not being treated as scum on the bottom of a shoe. This went on for what seemed to be an eternity before things changed into something much words for my young self.

To make matters worse, when I shifted at sixteen, I was the fastest runner, and the beatings started for trying to be better than everyone else. I was accused of being possessed with the devil spirit that came from my early childhood.

At first, it was just a simple tap on the head, or a kick to the shins, but now, at my age, it was brutal punches, sending me to the brink of being unconscious. I was sent to my room for days on end, no food or water, and no contact with the outside world whatsoever. I was now forever plagued with bruises and scratches that covered my body, trying to heal, only to be reopened hours later. My shape was skinny and breakable, but I still tried to be anything but, which is what angered my family the most.

To them, I was a disgrace to the name, meant to be kept inside, never shifting into my wolf, whom I so desperately missed. I hadn't felt the grass in between my toes in years, nor have I felt the tinkling of the wind calling me to the forest, begging to become one with nature and let my animal take over.

My eyes snapped open, coming to a realization, one that was needed too long ago. I had to get away from my father and brother, from the abuse and social shut out that came from all of the people I knew. I needed to grow up into the adult that I was, not fearing myself and the people that were my blood.

I, Janie Reynolds, was going to escape, once and for all.

***
Welcome to my book!
This is my first one, so I hope you all enjoy it.
-neary17