Chapter 4

Janie's POV (once again)

They were close, I could smell them. Who? I don't know, but a wolf, or wolves, were hot on my trail. I knew I could outrun them, it's what I had been doing ever since I figured no one was as fast as me, as far as I knew. I was quite surprised, my wolf was fast, but she still refused to talk to me, and I was guessing it was because I put up with the abuse for so long.

I sped up, getting a little more nervous as the scents became closer. This was for sure as close as any wolf had gotten to me, for as long as I had been in the woods. The crunching of leaves was echoing in my ears, giving me only a few options. I could either hope the cloak of night would shield me if I decided to stop and hide, or I could keep running and hope my determined follower lost interest. Both outcomes seemed pretty bleak to me. The final option was riding on pure luck, and of course, I choose door number 3. I know, I know, how stupid could I get? Blame it on the lack of high school education.

Quickly shifting back, I hear the satisfying crack of bones that I haven't heard in weeks. I use what little muscle I have to climb the tree nearest to me. I don't know if it is truly luck, or adrenaline, but I made it up at least half the tree until the branches became too small and weak to hold me.

I sucked in a small gasp when I heard loud voices coming east, desperately clutching the tree, as if it would hide me better if I was as close to it as I could be. Distinctive male yells could be heard as they commanded to find the "rouge", which I assumed was me. I didn't see anyone else hiding in the trees. They came to an abrupt stop, about fifty feet away from me and my beloved tree hiding spot.

My fear level spiked as their faces tipped upwards, sniffing the air for any trace of my scent. Oh no, I was so screwed. How would I manage to stay hidden if my stupid scent, which probably reeked from weeks of not taking showers, when I was basically right on top of them? Almost instantly, four pairs of eyes zoomed in on exactly where I was crouching. I was so screwed.

Growls rang through night as they finally captured their prize, the rouge that no one ever seemed to snag, or even see. Shivering slightly, I realized that as they saw not just me, but all of me. With, literally, no clothes on. My cheeks flushed a deep red, but I had more important things to be worried about.

I debated jumping off the tree and running once again, but I knew, deep within, that I would never make it out alive. Just as I thought to climb the tree higher, my foot slipped on the branch below me, my balance being thrown off. I plummeted towards the ground, being scraped by many sticks that moved their way across my bare body, leaving red marks, slightly bleeding. Before I could feel the unmoving Earth under me, I crashed into something much harder, the arms of a man, one of my captors.

This man was dark, with black locks and light green eyes that burned into me with pure hatred, so much that it made me want to go back to the corner of my room. I cringed away from him as he bore his teeth and admitted a fierce growl. Much surprise to me, my own voice came back with just as much force. When did I become such a harsh wolf? This man obviously held some power, I could basically feel it radiating off him.

He opened his mouth, ready to force me towards defeat, when a ear shattering growl filled the space around us, a voice, although deafening, that brought music to my ears.

"Put her down," commanded the deep voice that was still hidden in darkness. Shivers ran up and down my body. I was immediately dumped on the rocky terrain, bruising my back bone for sure. I quickly tried shielding myself, my body now showing completely in the glowing moonlight. I was quickly lifted and thrown into a chest, a chest that was hard as chiseled rock and sent my body into a fit of violent shakes of pleasure.

Just this man's scent made my body go haywire, and his breath on my neck sent my head spinning. This had never happened to me before, and I only had a vague idea of what was happening. My mother had explained this to me once, long ago, and my brother never failed to throw it in my face that I was lacking one in my older age.

I had finally found the one, and I wasn't even going to stick around long enough to find out his name. A simple boy of my affection was not going to stop me from running, even if he did have the perfect shade of brown hair, or the most piercing icy eyes I have ever seen.

"Mate," he breathily mutters, running his hand through his hair. He was still holding me on the back, tightly and possessively. He seems distracted for a moment, staring off into the distance with glazed eyes, as if he were calculating something.

I take the chance I have, nail him where the sun doesn't shine, and take off running. I was not going to be taken down that easily; not by anyone ever again.

But, inside I knew. I would never be the same. The mate pull wasn't wrong, but it would never be ready for me, I would make sure of it.

God, why did I have to pick door number three, nothing good ever comes of it. Stupid tree, stupid branch, stupid mate.

When did I become so stupid?

***
*slow claps* for me, of course. God, this was for sure my favorite to write out of all of the chapters.

Well, I put it off for long enough, the beloved mate (still the mysterious un named man) has finally come into the picture! Yassss, slay.
bye for now,
-neary17