Chapter 10

Janie's POV

His words made me gulp. What could this man possibly want from me? He tugged my hand gently, pulling me down the stairs. My feet felt the cold stone underneath me as we made our way to the kitchen. Ever since the bedroom, Brendan hasn't said a word. I didn't take that as a good sign. As the granite and white cabinets came into view, I saw Caroline sitting on a stool, hands in her lap.

I would have turned around right there, if it not had been for the hot devil in disguise in front of me. I was sat on a chair right next to the kindest woman, and I fiddled with the string of a pair of sweatpants I had so graciously received. My brain was filled with guilt, taking so much from this old woman, with nothing to give back. I found myself leaning off of the chair, inching towards the back door.

The soft melodic voice reached my ears, "Darling, I believe we have many things to sort out. I can see you moving towards the door, but I would advise you to stay, for your own good and ours." There was something lying underneath her voice that I couldn't exactly make out. Her hands gestured to the food on the table, a platter filled with crackers and cheese. I took a cup of lemonade and swallowed it down with my dry throat. Above the glass, I could see Brendan gazing out the window, and Caroline looking directly at me.

I gathered up the small courage I had, and spoke to both of them, " I never meant to lie to you Caroline, I just thought my past would never follow me here. Besides I was only planning on staying for a few days at the most, but I found something I liked here with you, and I extended my stay for a little longer." I would never say this out loud, but I just wanted a home, and with Caroline, it was something I never had. I held my cup as Brendan turned his gaze to me, almost as if he was reading into my soul.

"Janie, I believe you, and I know that you would have no idea that your mate is my grandson, and it's my fault that I didn't push you to tell me anything. Accepting you was the right thing to do, and rescuing you in town was my pleasure. Lord knows what would have-" she was cut off by a deep growl. I'm sure it would have been comical to see how wide my eyes went. His eyes were in slits and his mouth was pulled into a frown. His hands were gripping the table with so much force I thought it would crack.

I whimpered, his anger radiating off him was so similar to my dads that it made me feel as if I were back there again. Shrinking into myself, the door seemed like the greatest thing since sliced bread. He shot up, ready to bolt out of the room at the same time I went to get to the door and never look back.

I was right before about all of the alphas. All they ever did was live in a anger drunken state, crashing and burning, not caring who was in the way in their path to success. That was something that being across the country could not change. The chair I was sitting on tumbled behind me and I was running towards the door before anyone could stop me.

I felt as if I was always in this position. Running from who I really am, never facing my demons. In the past few months, my whole life has revolved around my need for survival, and with staggering realization, I realized I was just like them, the people I hated.

I was running into everyone, and everything I was touching was turning to dust around me. I was treating myself as the sun, everything revolved around me. Just the thought of that made want to turn around and stay. But, something bigger inside of me told me to get the hell out of there. I was never one to listen to logic, only to my emotion. So, even as the door came closer, I found myself running faster, but before I could finally reach the cold metal of the knob, the ground disappeared before me.

I was falling, fast, so very fast. It was like Deja vu, just like the time in the tree. At least this time I had clothes on, but he was still here. I felt the air whooshing around me, although it wasn't far of a fall. I think I let out a strangled cry, but before I could even hit the ground, I blacked out.

I don't even know if I made it to the ground.

***

I woke up to a massive pounding in my head, and I wanted nothing more than to fall asleep. I was tired, oh so tired. I snuggled back into what I thought was a bed, but paused. This bed was warm, and breathing. I shot up, wincing as I felt the full effects of my headache come into play. The arms previously wrapped around me vanished, and I tried moving, but the pain in my head stopped me. I groaned and fell back into the arms of what seemed to be my savior.

"Shhhh Janie, it's going to be ok. Just wait here, I'll go get you some water, rest. I will be right back." I didn't have a response as he gingerly set me on the bed below. Shutting my eyes, I knew I had to get out of here, but now I was in no shape to do so. Just my luck. I covered my head with a pillow, breathing in his scent before I snapped out of whatever haze I was in and pulled the blanket over me, trying to get a little shut eye before I planned my big escape.

The door opened and closed, the lock turning with it. I automatically presumed it was Brendan, coming back with the glass of water. I was wrong when I heard the malice behind the voice.

"Ok little darling, we have a slight problem, well, more than slight. You killed my son, and I think it's about time you payed for it."

***
Omg, that just happened.
Goodbye, I'll go away now.
ps. Please vote:) / check out my new book
-Neary17