Part 1

So excited I hope you enjoy this story...

One minute. That's all it takes for someone's life to change forever. 60 seconds can determine whether someone lives or dies. In those 60 seconds it can either make or break you. You never see it coming, there's no guide or book to prepare you for it. In the snap of an eye, something- someone can tear your life apart.

The thing is, you can either let it destroy you, consume your thoughts, your mind or fight. When all else fails. When you think nothing can get worse. When your life is finally getting back on track. Something happens that throws you right back to the starting line.

Life is like a never ending race, demi has been running for so long, searching for the finish line. But there isn't one, when she thinks the race is over she's thrown right back to where she started.

This was different, someone was deliberately trying to break her. She didn't know the reason why. What she did to deserve something to this extent.

She stared at the crumbled up note in her hand for the hundredth time so far that day reading the scribbled words carefully trying to understand why. Why would someone do something like this to her and leave this?

~~~

3 days earlier

Demi's day started off as it typically did, she forced herself out of bed, clinging to the sheets as she tiptoed out of the room and to the bathroom so she could shower and start her morning routine. Her life fell in to a daily routine, it made her feel normal even through she was far from it.

One thing she did have was her daughter, Megan slept peacefully in the next room. She was finally taking her life back for the first time in years. Demi felt she was better- fixed, she hated to admit it but she wanted her to be fixed.

Demi knew things would never be the same, there was a small part of her that envied her sister who was now married and carrying her second child.

She didn't want to sound harsh, but she wished she could switch places with her for a day. She just wanted a taste of how life would be if none of this ever happened. She often dreamed about it.

The stress that the singer has been through along with lack of sleep caused a shit load of health problems.

Demi was so worried about keeping Megan healthy she forgot to look after herself.

"How are you feeling this morning?" Demi jumped out of her skin, startled by the new voice behind her.

"Don't do that Wilmer!" He chuckled shaking his head, he truly didn't mean to scare her, he thought she heard him walk in.

"Are you still getting sick in the morning?" He asked, wetting his toothbrush. Demi sighed closing the lid on the toilet before sitting on it.

She didn't know what to do, she's been getting sick for almost a week now. Vomiting in the morning and some times during the day.

She ruled out stomach bug, the medication the doctor prescribed for her wasn't working at all. "I think you should take a pregnancy test."

She looked up at her husband as if he was crazy, she knew she wasn't pregnant! She couldn't have a baby. This was the worst time ever. Megan was already a handful, the thought of bringing another child in to her fucked up world scared her.

She couldn't do it, she didn't want anymore children.

"I can't be pregnant Wilmer." The statement came across harsh, he could almost feel her distaste for the subject. It bothered him, he knew she was going through a lot at the moment but he felt a baby would be good for them.

Their marriage hasn't been the easiest-scratch that, it was on a single thread. There was no doubt about it, he loved demi very much. He just felt she didn't love him the way he loved her.

"Don't sound too happy about it." He joked, demi didn't find him funny at all and continued to look out the window beside her blankly chewing on her nails.

He was worried about her, she was always so closed off. Since they've been married and the whole ordeal with Megan she was a different person, someone he didn't recognize.

There was a knock on the door and Megan waited for the okay for her to enter. She smiled slightly at Wilmer and he returned it. She walked over to her mother and sat in her lap.

Demi couldn't believe how tall her baby was getting. She was growing into a little women, she matured so much in the last year. She was 16 now, and demi often wondered to herself where has the time gone.

"Mom, you know I'm staying over Lucy's house for the weekend right? Then her mom is gonna drop us off at school on Monday." Megan said twirling her mother's hair around her forefinger. She wished when she got older she would be as beautiful as her.

Demi sighed and begun descending down the stairs, "I want you to call me twice a day and text me frequently, if you decide to go anywhere besides the mall I need to know the location and time you're going and leaving."

This caused both Wilmer and Megan to roll their eyes, demi wasn't always like this. Overprotective, but lately she's felt off. Like something was going to happen. She of course ignored the feeling not bothering to look in to it because she was probably like always overreacting.

"I know mom you say this every time I go out the house." She groaned, stuffing a handful of lucky charms in her mouth. She hated eating them with milk it was nasty.

"I do it because I love you." Demi stated seriously, "Your safety-"

"Yeah, I know it's important because you and everyone else think I'm some crazy ticking time bomb." Megan muttered the last part to herself.

It was like they were waiting for her to snap, Megan felt it. Demi was always on edge her doctor was constantly calling, interrogating her about her 'episodes' which in fact she hasn't had in almost three months.

She was just so sick and tired of everyone hovering over her.

"I don't think you're crazy baby." Demi frowned at the thought, "I'm just being cautious."

"Whatever." Megan got up from the table, "Lucy should be here soon I'll talk to you guys later."

Once Megan was out the room and demi knew for sure she couldn't hear her conversation. She let the tears fall. She was fighting them during the whole conversation with Megan and she didn't know why.

"She thinks she's crazy." Demi was hysterical by now, "She thinks I'm treating her different because of her condition wil, what am I supposed to do? I hate that she's feeling this way."

"Give her some time." He said, his fingers tracing the small of her back. Instantly calming demi until her sniffles were the only distantly heard sounds in the room.

Demi wiped her tears putting some distance between her and her husband so she could look him in the eye. She needed to get this off her chest it was suffocating her.

"Something isn't right, I fear something bad is going to happen." She admitted. Now this worried him if he wasn't paying attention before she now had his full attention.

"Care to elaborate?" He pushed for her to tell more.

"It's just this feeling Wilmer. Call it mother's instinct or whatever you want to name it. I don't feel exactly safe at the moment and I'm not comfortable with Megan going over Lucy's for, four days."

Wilmer didn't know how to handle this new information, for the first time he didn't have the logical answers. He was rendered speechless. His wife's confession shocked him. And he was worried more about the fact that she didn't feel safe in their own home.

"Demi, I don't know what to say."

She shook her head, every ounce of emotion that was once there merely seconds ago wiped off her face. She now looked stoic. "Just forget I said anything. It's probably not that big off a deal."

She left the room without another word, fear of the unknown weighting heavy on her shoulders. Little did she know that her life was about to take a turn for the worst. And was about to be changed forever.