Chapter 50

Chapter 50

I dashed out of my room so fast I almost tripped on the last step, heading for the door. I faintly heard my dad screaming for me, but I didn't respond. I had never felt so numb. No tears came from my eyes, and as soon as the frigid LA air hit my shoulders, I hastily made my way to the shiny motorcycle perched on my driveway.

I had never driven one before, and had only ridden on one once in my life, but those thoughts couldn't be farther from my brain. I had to leave. I kicked up the kickstand, and shakily figured out how to start it up, revving the bike loudly. Careless, I tossed the helmet to the ground swiftly and heard a definite crack as it hit the stony path.

I heard the front door open and took it as my cue to leave, bolting out of the gate surrounding my home. I started off slowly, unsure of exactly how to work the bike, but once I got the hang of it, I sped up rapidly. I didn't even have a clue to where I was going, and I probably looked like a mad woman speeding recklessly through the streets in an expensive dress. The wind was hitting my face, and I increased my speed by 20 instantly. I was going well over the speed limit, flying past cars without so much as a glance.

I want a drink, I thought. Never once in my life had I had such a sudden burning desire for alcohol. Heck, I just had my first drink weeks ago. Somewhere in the back of my mind I was screaming at myself that this was a horrible idea, but my subconscious was quickly silence when I pulled up to a pub called, Last Resort. It looked partially safe on the outside, with only one of two flickering lights in the sign. I heard the beats from the electronic music pulsating from outside.

I laughed bitterly to myself at the irony of the situation, and parked sloppily on the corner of the sidewalk. I slide off the slick seat of the Harley Davidson bike, and ran my fingers through my hair. Turning to see the illuminated bar in front of me, I began the trek to the front doors, almost fumbling because of the high heels I was wearing.

An ominous looking bouncer decked out in all black stood in front of the building. As I approached him, a smug grin plastered itself on his pale face.

"Sam Jackson. What a surprise seeing you here." I gave him my best attempt at a smile and his face began to flush with color.

"Would you mind letting me in?" I said plainly. He raised an eyebrow at me, seeming to question if it was the right thing to do. I was almost on the home stretch, I just needed him to step aside and let me go.

"I could get into a lot of trouble for this you know." The bouncer said seriously. His bald head was glossy and reflective under the lights above us, and he stood with his arms-crossed.

"No one will know. Just this once." I practically pleaded, and his composure gave way. He sighed heavily and let me pass him. I felt a wave of relief disperse throughout my body, and I nodded at him curtly before guiding my way into the dimly lit bar.

It reeked of alcohol and sweat, and loud pop music blasted from the over head speakers. There were dozens of people gathered around at tables laughing drunkenly and cursing. My hairs began to stick up on end. The walls were covered in old pictures and memorabilia of what I assumed was the owner and his family. I quickly looked away at the sight of a picture of the old man and what had to be his mother in a wheel chair hung on the wall.

I made my way over to the bar area, plopping down at one of the tall seats. The table top was a smooth wood, and I ran my hands over it a couple times before I heard someone clear their throat.

I looked up to see a bearded man with warm amber eyes, peering down at me. "What can I get you to drink?" He said kindly, adjusting his flannel around his muscular arms.

"A shot of tequila, please." I announced, feeling somewhat proud of myself that I had remembered the name of at least one type of alcohol. The man nodded, causing his brown curls to shake. He set a shot glass in front of me, and expertly pour a shot of the liquid into the cup.

I wrapped my fingers around the glass hesitantly, and let out a short breath. I lifted up the shot until it was slightly above eye level, seeing a slight reflection in it.

"This one is for my mom." I said darkly, and slammed the glass back down on the counter before pouring the tequila down my throat.