Chapter 33

"Please open your eyes." I said to the motionless person on the ground. Their eyelids fluttered a bit before finally flicking open. The girl in front of me had crystal blue eyes and blonde hair that was streaked with mud. Her face was covered with a thick layer of dust as if she had been laying there for months. She sat up and caused Carl to notice her. He pulled his gun out of the holster and pointed it at her head. Her eyes widened and she back against the wall. I knocked his hand out of the way and glared at him. "Lay off, babe."

"He's your boyfriend?" She choked.

I nodded and tossed her bag at her. I smirked, "What's your name?"

"Marianna. Burgess." She stumbled over her words.

"Well, Marianna, I'm Rhylee, that's Carl, and she's Enid. How many walkers have you killed?"

"Rhylee don't." Enid scolded.

"I asked you a question." I knocked on her head as if to say 'anybody in there?'

"I don't know. A lot."

"How many people have you killed?"

"Two."

"Why?" I asked.

"Why do you need to know?" She recoiled.

"Because the last bitch we let in shot me. You're lucky I haven't killed your ass yet. Answer the damn question!" I yelled.

"Because I had to!" She cried.

"You had to? You had to? What the hell is wrong with you?" Enid hissed.

"If I didn't they would have killed my brother. He was so little." She held her head in her hands.

"Was?" I asked.

"I lost them. My baby brother, my dad's girlfriend, the people that attacked us. All of them gone."

"Get up. You're coming with us." I commanded.

"I can't. I dislocated my knee. I can't get up."

Carl extended his hands to help her. I watched silently as she 'tripped' and fell into his arms. I pulled out my gun. "If you try anything, I will kill you." I shoved her off in the direction we were headed.

"Better keep up. Cause we're running." I told her before taking off, leaving her and Carl in the dust.

Enid ran close behind me. I ran up to the gates and climbed up them. I looked out to see Enid also climbing and Carl and Marianna were still far behind.

She looked back too and then glanced at me. "He's just too nice to run off without her." She smiled. I knew she was reassuring herself and not me. We had been competing for a while. I had ultimately won considering, but we still had the occasional argument over it. We were friends nonetheless. I pulled out my walkie and radioed in. I caught myself and stopped myself from asking for Deanna. She may have died but she was the true Alexandrian leader. I asked for Aaron instead, he'd been the one bringing in people since Deanna.

He showed up around the same time as Marianna. He looked at me.

"Does she look safe?" I asked him.

"With Deanna that was my call. With Rick it's a different protocol. You don't bring people here without asking the questions and reporting the answer to Daryl, who runs them by Rick. Its really not hard Rhylee."

"I asked the question's and Daryl is out on a run. Do something." I told him.

He tied her hands behind her back and carried her out to the cell. She protested but we ignored her and went on about our day.

+Night+

I was sound asleep in the infirmary when I heard pounding on the door. Tara and Denise ran downstairs and opened the door. Daryl and Rick carried a man into the infirmary and laid him on a gurney.

"Sorry to wake you. That thing didn't work out. You can thank this asshole." Daryl said.

The back of the man's head was bleeding. I grabbed my bag off a shelf and pulled out hospital level disinfectant. Denise looked at me.

"Get me a towel." I instructed.

A moment or two later Tara handed me a towel. I poured the disinfectant on the towel and slowly dabbed the back of his head. I looked at Rick, "What happened?"

"He got hit by a truck door."

"A big truck full of supplies at the bottom of the lake. Thanks to this douchebag."

After I had cleaned all the blood off his head and put the towel in the sink, I sat down. Denise sat by me, Tara by her, and Rick and Daryl across from us. Denise began the conversation, "Where did you get such high level hospital supplies?"

I took a deep breath. "About a year ago, I was in a hospital with Noah and Maggie's sister Beth. We had supplies there. A lot of supplies. Rick and his people came to get Beth and Carol back. Dawn was our leader. Noah was with Rick. Dawn said she wanted Noah back. When Noah walked back over Beth stabbed Dawn. Dawn shot Beth and Daryl shot Dawn. They said we could join them but none of my people did. Except me. After I saw my dad, I stole some supplies and snuck away. Here I am."

"Oh." Denise answered.

"How come I didn't see you there?" Daryl asked.

"I was hiding. Beth and Noah were my only friends. Noah escaped and then Beth died and I was alone. So I found you guys. I found Noah and Dad. But then I lost Noah. When I lost them its because I wasn't there, I should have been. So now I am being here. I'm skilled in the medical field. No one else will die. Not on my watch. That's why I'm helping him. He maybe an asset or maybe not. But he won't die until we find out."

"Then let's find out." Rick answered.