Chapter 29

I sat in the infirmary waiting for Tara and Eugene to come back.  When they did we'd have to explain why we came back with very little, which meant explaining our mission gone wrong. We'd only made it back with half the food and medical supplies we'd gathered, and Tara lost her backpack. While Denise put away the little medical supplies we'd returned, and Rick rationed out the food, I sat in a chair and spoke with Maggie. Tara and Eugene finally arrived and dad pulled us to the side.

"We were kind of hoping for more than what you guys brought back, and you're missing a bag."

"Well, the mission kind of went south when the roof caved in. Sooo, we brought back everything we could. Which was half of what we found."

"Don't go on anymore runs unless I say to. Do you understand?" Dad scolded.

"Yeah. Okay."

"Rhylee!" Denise called from the other side of the room.

"Yeah?" I limped over to her.

"Your ankle still hurt?" She asked me.

"Yeah, but anyway, I'm sorry I couldn't get more supplies. I tried, but we lost half our supplies running out of there."

"It's okay. What you brought back is better than what we had."

"How's Carl?"

"He's doing good. He wakes up mostly when you aren't around."

"I'll be around a lot more, now. I'm prohibited from going on runs."

"Rhylee? Can I speak to you for a moment?"

"Just a second, Denise." I turned around to look at Mariah. "What?"

"In private?" She looked at Denise.

"What?" I asked, as Denise walked away.

"I know you don't like me, but I love your dad and I know that you aren't upset with him anymore, but please don't be upset with me." She begged. "We're a family now."

"We're not family. Maggie and Dad are my family. Not you! Now get out of my face." I scoffed.

"Be more gentle Rhy." Maggie said to me.

"I don't want to be gentle to her. I hate her." I lowered my voice to a whisper, "and you're the having his baby. Does he even know?"

She nodded, "He does. Which is why we've decided to get back together."

Happiness warmed my insides, despite the chilly air. Then I froze again, as I remembered Mariah saying, "We're a family now."

"Dad?" I called over to him.

"Did you give her the news?" He asked Maggie and she nodded.

"But Mariah just told me she loved you and that we were family."

"Just ignore her."

I marched off into the streets trying to find Mariah. When I found her I grabbed her by the arm.

"If you do anything to hurt Maggie or her baby, I swear to God, I will kill you. And it will be a slow, painful death. Understood?"

She laughed, her grey eyes changing from kind and warm to stormy and dark. She tossed her head back and then she pulled out a gun. When she stood up, I had no trouble believing that she would kill me, Maggie, and Maggie's baby, just to be with my father.

I charged her (the best I could due to ankle troubles) and she fell, but not before pulling the trigger. As we both hit the ground my eyes widen. I felt a horrible pain in my stomach and I curled up into a ball.

I heard voices around me and saw blurry faces crowding around me.

"What did you do?"  My dad's voice screamed.

"Get her inside!"  Denise.

"I will kill you!"  Dad shouted.

"Glenn don't!"  Maggie stopped him.

"Rick , what are you doing?"  Mariah.

"Rick, don't  do this."  It was Tara this time.

"I'm the new leader in this community, and there are no murderers allowed."  Rick's southern accent drawled.

"Wasn't in you that said we don't kill the living? What happened to that?" Daryl asked.

A gunshot sounded, followed by Rick's voice saying, "That was before the living tried to kill us."

That was when  I blacked out.