Chapter 6

I awoke on Carl's shoulder. Everyone else had woke before me, and just waited. It was break day and we all wanted to spend it together. I stood up and walked into the kitchen after everyone else. We gathered around the table and helped ourselves to eggs and sausage. We laughed and talked, and for once since the breakout, we were happy.

Deanna opened the door to introduce us to someone. The girl next to Deanna had brown curly hair and stormy grey eyes. Her hair was tied back into a thick ponytail and her shirt was tattered. I gave her the once over and decided I didn't like her.

She had no equipment, except for a simple pocket knife, strapped to her belt. No bags, no belongings of any kind.

She held a warm smile on her face. That irritated me. Deanna interrupted our perfect breakfast to introduce us to a smiley numbskull.

We learned her name was Mariah, and then they left us.

We sat quietly at the table when I finally spoke.

"I don't like her." I contributed.

"You don't know her." Tara scolded me.

"Did anyone get a good look at her? No weapons. Just a simple knife. No bags or belongings. Clean hair. That's not what this world is. You don't just carelessly run around with a knife. It's not safe." Carl added, in my defense.

"They take your weapons at the gate." Rick argued.

"Not all of them." I said, patting the bow I had latched to my back.

He rolled his eyes and glared at me. I gave him the evil eye and took a deep breath to start off my response, but the look I got from Carol on the other side of the table redirected me.

I sighed. Happiness never lasts.