t w e n t y - e i g h t

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness." - Leo Tolstoy, The Kreutzer Sonata
***

Lesley's P.O.V

Its been twenty minutes and thirty-nine seconds since the courtroom door has been shut to my face. I'm sitting on a bench outside, rocking back and forth, and my eyes fixed to the door. They will come out any second now, Lesley. Calm down.

Calm.

Down.

I let go of a breath. The lawyer explained to us that this is a court, so Adam will be there to give evidence to the judge where afterwards, a trial will be set on another date. If Lucian claims that this is a false accusation then a plea is offered. From then, witnesses will be called and Lucian will have time to defend his honor.

The door opens up and my legs are moving before me. Adam reaches for his tie and loosen it as he rubs his eyes in return. The shade of his green seems translucent. I could always read him, but now, I can't. My face falls. When he spots me, his eyes widen. He opens his arms and I run right through them, holding him tight as I inhale his scent. I hear him sigh.

"What happened?" I impatiently ask.

"The trial is after a month." He smoothers my hair. "Lucian asked for more time to gather evidence. He said he isn't guilty." I back away from the hug, and trace his jaw with my fingers. I nod at him and he nods in return, both having our gaze locked in each other.

Jenkins interrupts us. "I talked to the judge. He said that if his brother is pressing charges, then it's not a game." He has a briefcase clutched to his side and his eyes read exhaustion. "We still need to clear up some evidence and get out witnesses." He turns to Adam. "Call Riley. You called him last time, didn't you? Tell him we need him as a witness for his sister's trial."

Adam clears his throat. "Eh, yeh. I'll get on it."

"And by the way, Aida's parents aren't so thrilled about what's happening. So let's try to keep it behind the radar," Jenkin says. "The word got out and the press is already talking about it so when you head out, avoid them completely." Someone calls him from the back. He excuses himself and I'm standing in front of Adam, my heart in my hand.

"You talked to Riley?" I ask.

He looks away. "Yes."

"When?"

"It doesn't matter," he interrupts. "He wanted to see me to know what's happening with his sister's case."

"You're not looking me in the eye," I tell him. "Why aren't you looking me in the eye, Adam?"

He stiffens and my heart is accelerating on a horsepower. "What do you know that I don't?"

He winces. "Tell me!" I demand.

He steps closer and pulls me to him, planting a kiss on my forehead. "Nothing. Trust me for now."

I don't know what to do or how to act. Million of thoughts are running in my head and I feel like exploding. So, I let him hold me, the ring at my index feeling tight. Too tight.

"They're connecting everything." He says.

"What do you mean by that?" I frown.

"Questions unanswered. Why was she a victim? Who did it? Why did she kill herself? Who started the fire? Who shot you? Why would someone feel that you're a threat if there wasn't any motive behind it?"

"Do you think that they'll figure it out?"

"I think if we answer one question, the rest will cascade like dominos." He sighs. "My head is going to blow up. Let's grab something to eat," he stops as a grin stretches on his face, "Ms. Reindl."