s i x t e e n

"If it weren't for her, there would never have been an empty space, or the need to fill it."
—Nicole Krause, The History of Love
***

The cafeteria seem to dim down as Megan and I enter. We grab trays and wait in line. After that, Spencer calls out for us and we make our way to the table.

"Where's that pretty boy of yours?" Spencer asks just as I slide in my seat. I sigh. Megan answers for me, "He took his pretty face and bipolar behaviour outside of class."

"No!" Spencer gasps. I roll my eyes. "He just got pissed that the publishing house that offered me an internship is a two hours drive." I shrug.

"Wait," Spencer cuts me off. "You got an internship? Where?"

"Ernest and Ernie." I scoop mashed potatoes in my mouth.

"Get out!" Megan startles me causing me to go into a chocking mood. She slightly rubs my back as I cough. I clear my throat, "I know, I'm so excited," I tell her and she squeal. "Well, was anyway. Pretty boy has to ruin it," I sigh. "Anyways, enough talking about that."

"Agreed." Spencer says. "Let's talk about graduation instead."

"What about it?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Im thinking of going naked under the robe."

I chuckle. "If it's windy, you're screwed."

He smirks. "Nah. It's quite the view."

"Ew, stop." Megan interrupts. "First of all, at least wear boxers and spare us the view." She turns to me, "and second of all, stop pouting and go draw his lines. He can't keep bumming you over and driving you mad."

"He's smoking," I instantly say. She arches an eyebrow, "When did he do that?" 

"About a week ago," Spencer sips on his cola. My eyebrows strike up, "how do you know that?"

He clears his throat, "Well..." His voice comes out as a squeal. I sigh and cut him off. "Just forget it."

"Jeremy six o'clock," Spencer says. I jerk my head in his direction while Megan ducks. My eyes scan from his denim up to his polo shirt and to the bloodshot blue eyes. I gulp down. His eyes stay locked in mine until he breaks them to watch Megan. She looks away instantly as her leg starts to shake abruptly. When he's out of the view, I turn to her.

"Meg?" I call for her but her hair is curtaining her face. I place my hand on her leg, stopping the shaking. "Are you okay?" I ask. When she turns, my heart melts for her. She's crying.

I take a strand of her hair and tuck it behind her ear. "I'm sorry," I whisper. She sniffs. "I guess you can never get over someone you love," she weakly smiles.

"Amen to that girl," Spencer engages into the conversation. I sigh, unsure of what to say. "Look at me!" I shake my head, "sitting with two heart broken people." They both slightly laugh, easing up the mood.

"You know what? We'll skip our next class, head to Connor's, buy some ice cream and watch the notebook." They both say nothing, and just stare back at me. I smirk. "Or we could go to a liquor store, buy some wine, while I cook some good authentic stake."