Chapter 17

•Cameron's POV•

I sit on the couch, my leg bouncing up and down. It's been almost and hour and a half since Sam left with those scientists or whatever you call them. All I can do is wait, right?

A knock at the door startles me. I immediately stand up, and walk to the door. I open it to see Sam, and Hayes standing next to her, alive. His eyes look red, but I can't tell because of the lighting.

"Hayes." I say. He smiles, and I hug him. I'm not much of a crier, but this reunion makes tears come to my eyes.

"Hey Cameron." His voice cracks. I pull away, and put my hands on his shoulders. He looks at me with a sad face.

"I'm sorry." I whisper. He nods, and looks down at his shoes. I look over at Sam, and she smiles weakly. Hayes walks in the room, and goes straight to the bathroom.

"He stinks." Sam whispers. I chuckle, and she laughs.

"There's that laugh." I say softly. She looks at me, and then walks past me into the room. I sigh, and turn around to walk in the room as well.

As I lock the door, I hear Hayes's cries from the bathroom, and my heart sinks. I turn around to see Sam laying on the bed, tears rolling down her cheeks. She grabs the hem of the blanket, and squeezes it tight. She bursts into tears. Tears form in my eyes.

"Why? Why Nash?!" She screams. I walk over to her. I put my hand on her upper back. She squeezes her eyes shut.

"We just have to look at the positive side. Ok?" I ask.

"How can I look at the positive side when my brother died like Sierra did?" She whispers. A tear rolls down my face.

"We take a nap. Everyone is out somewhere. We could really use it." I say. Sam nods and wipes her tears away. She rolls over in her bed and I go to the other bed and lay down. I hear a door open and Hayes comes out of the bathroom. He lies next to Sam, and wraps his arms around her. I smile, and close my eyes.

•Sam's POV•

I wake up to a knocking at the door. I sit up, and slowly get out of Hayes's arms. I walk to the door and open it, not looking in the little peephole to see who it is. As soon as I open the door, hands grab me, one wrapping around my torso and another one around my mouth. I scream.

"Help me!" Someone hisses. I feel another pair of arms wrap around me, and I try and jump, kicking my legs. I hear the door shut. I move my arms around, and grab a material, and pull it. It comes off and the face that I see frightens me.

"Shawn?" I ask. Matthew keeps a hold of me as I fight against him.

"Hi Sam." He says. They pull me down the hallway, and I start screaming. Matthew quickly covers my mouth.

"Shut the hell up! Shawn, go call the elevator!" He whisper-yells. Shawn runs away. I hear a door open, and Matthew turns around. I see Cameron standing there, and Hayes stands behind him. Matthew grabs something, and before I know it, a knife is pressing against my throat.

"Let her go." Cameron says between his teeth. Matthew press the knife harder. I wince. Matthew turns his attention to Hayes.

"How the hell are you alive?" He asks.

"I guess I just got lucky." Hayes answers. I hear stomping from behind.

"Are we gonna-" He stops speaking. Cameron's eyes get wide.

"What the hell." Cameron says. He starts to step forward, and Matthew presses it harder. Cameron stops moving.

"Keep moving Cameron. See what happens then." He taunts.

"Why are you doing this to us?" Hayes asks. Matthew chuckles.

"There's not a better family to torture." Matthew says. I can already tell by his voice that he's smirking.

"Please just let me go." I whimper. A hand smacks my face. I quickly hold it, but Matthew puts the knife back to my neck.

"What was that?" Matthew asks.

"Nothing." I whisper. Matthew takes the knife off of my neck and slices my arm. I scream.

"Do you wanna keep talking?" He asks. I don't say anything.

"Let her go!" Cameron yells. Matthew brings the knife up, ready to stab me in the stomach.

"Don't say another word. Or I swear I will stab her." Matthew says. I look at Cameron. His eyes are watery.

"Ok." Matthew says. I notice his grip loosen on me.

"You're not going to kill me?" I ask. He takes a few deep breaths.

"I am." And before I can even get a word out, he stabs me in the stomach. I gasp, and put my hands on my stomach.

"SAM!!!" I hear Cameron yell. Everything seems to happen in slow motion. Matthew takes the knife out, and I bend over. Him and Shawn run away, but Shawn gives me one sad look before running around the corner.

I start to lean over backwards, and I feel arms wrap around me, and slowly lay me down on the ground. I look up to see Hayes. He still has me in his arms.

"Sam!" He yells looking down at my stomach. I try to speak but no words will come out. "No no no no no, stay with me." He says grabbing my hand.

"It's ok." I croak. He shakes his head.

"No, Sam-" I cut him off.

"It's ok." I repeat. He makes a sad face, and his eyes fill with tears. A tear rolls down my face.

"I'm in the arms of the best thing that's ever happened to me." I whisper. He smiles. "The first person that I've loved, ever loved, and the person that I will always love. I lo-I love you." I whisper. He squeezes my hand. "Hayes Grier." I whisper so quietly that I'm surprised Hayes even heard me.

"Sam no. You can't die on me now. I can't lose you too!" He croaks. My lip starts to tremble.

"I'm so cold." I whisper.

"I'm calling 911!" I look to see Cameron. His eyes are red and puffy. He looks so scared, his face frightens me.

"No." I say.

"Sam-"

"I said no!" I yell. He starts to cry.

"You can't stop me." He cries and he pulls his phone out. I moan. I turn my attention back to Hayes.

"Will you be able to stay with me now?" He asks. I smile, and then my eyes start to get heavy. "Sam?" Hayes asks. He puts his hand on my cheek. I start slowly blinking, and then Hayes starts yelling, but I can only hear humming. My grip loosens on Hayes's hand, and I close my eyes.

I love you Hayes.

_______________________________

You guys are probably panicking by now, but don't worry! She might not be gone yet! Trust me! Hope you guys are liking the book so far! 🤗