Chapter 16

•Sam's POV•

We get to the graveyard, and we go to Hayes's grave. I read it:

Benjamin Hayes Grier
June 10, 2000 - May 25th 2015
Loving brother, son, boyfriend, and friend.

Just reading that makes tears come to my eyes. I turn away and wipe my eyes. I feel someone touch my shoulder, and I turn to see Dr. Martinez.

"You ok?" He asks softly. I nod.

A few other people come with shovels, and they start to dig up the ground. 5 minutes later, a hear a loud thunk.

"I think we found it!" Someone yells. I cover my mouth. They keep digging and eventually lift the coffin out of the ground.

(A/N: I really don't know what those things are called because I forget. 😂)

I stand there, watching in shock. Everyone is quiet for a second, and then we hear a pounding sound from the coffin. Everyone jumps. I run over by it.

"Hayes?" I ask. There's silence.

"Lift the top." Dr. Martinez whispers. They lift the top, and Hayes lies there, his eyes closed. Tears swell in my eyes. I reach out to touch his hand.

"Hayes?" I whisper. His eyes slowly flutter open and look at me.

"Sam." He says. I nod my head. I look up and down his body, and he is so skinny, it scares me. He sits up, and I lean back. He tries to stand up, and the doctors help him. I stand up.

"Come here." He says. I walk over to him and hug him. He wraps his arms around me, and holds me tight. I start crying. He rubs my back.

"Shhh. It's ok." I hear him whisper.

"You were dead!" I cry. I squeeze him tighter, breathing in a scent that makes me think of Madison. It's so disgusting.

"I was never dead." He says. I look up at him.

"How-how are you alive?" I whisper. He has tears in his eyes.

"I guess I'm just that cool." He smiles. I smile. He leans in to kiss me, but I put my finger on his lips. He gives me a confused look.

"Let's get those teeth brushed first." I laugh. He laughs.

"I love you." He says.

"I love you too." I say back.

"So, how's everybody? Is Nash ok?" My heart sinks. My smile fades away. Hayes looks at me, confused. "Is Nash ok?" He asks, taking his arms down. I shake my head.

"He..um," tears form in my eyes. "Hayes, he's dead." The look on Hayes's face makes me feel so bad. I look around and notice that the doctors are already back in their cars.

"No. He can't be." Hayes says. I nod my head.

"He killed himself." I whisper. I'm surprised Hayes even heard that.

"No he didn't! When did this happen!" He yells. I jump.

"He did it this morning Hayes!" I yell back. I burst into tears. He grabs a rock, and throws it, yelling. He gets down on the ground, and starts punching the ground. After a few punches, he slows down. I hear him crying.

"No...no...no." I hear him say.

"Hayes." I walk up behind him and out my hand on his shoulder. He takes a deep breath, and falls to the ground, holding his knees to his chest. He bursts into tears.

"This is my fault!" He yells. I go to him and sit next to him.

"Why are you blaming this on yourself? Hayes, none of this is your fault. Matthew did this to all of us, you didn't. Nash made his-" I look up to see someone, about 200 feet away. He/she has something in his hand, and starts walking in circles.

Matthew.

"Hayes, Hayes we have to go. Now." I say. He looks at me.

"Why? Can I cry?!" He yells.

"HAYES! It's Matthew!" I scream. He turns his head, and a look of panic rushes on his face. He stands up and grabs me.

"Let's go." He says. I nod and we go to the car.

"Ready?" Maria asks.

"Yes." I say quickly. She turns on the car and drives off. I look back, and see Matthew staring at the car. I look at Hayes, and he is looking at me. I lay my head on his chest, and he puts his arm around me. I fall asleep.

•••••••••

This chapter was shorter! Next chapter is going to be good! Love you guys!