41 I Feel Fantastic

Colton~~

I've taken down three rebels so far, and I feel fantastic.

I'm near the ballroom, but I don't have a destination in mind. I go where I hear gunshots, but in an estate of this size, it's not easy to determine where they're coming for.

So maybe I am wandering a bit aimlessly, but I've managed to incapacitate rebels, so it's working out.

I've passed probably a dozen Veil who were bleeding on the floor, their partners already tending to them. They really do need me out here.

From what I've been able to gather, the rebels landed helicopters on the roof. At the next Senate meeting, I'm bringing up making the roof less helicopter friendly.

Ahead where the hallway ends and branches off to the left and right, a shadow passes over the floor. I move toward the wall, raising my gun right before a girl pokes her head around the corner. She's young, but if she was a part of the Society, she'd be down in the safe rooms by now.

Her eyes widen as they land on me, and her head disappears behind the corner.

Then again, a rebel is a rebel, and maybe she looks young for her age.

I round the corner, and she squeaks, throwing up her hands.

I raise my gun slowly, not used to rebels squeaking. She has a gun at her hip but doesn't reach for it.

"You're . . . you're Colton Blackwood?"

I love rebels quivering in fear but why do I think I hear awe in her voice?

"When it comes to strangers, I prefer Beta."

"Right. Of course." She keeps her hands up. "Sorry."

I don't really know what to do here. I'm used to shooting first and asking questions later, but rebels never apologize to me. I don't know what the proper protocol is among enemies in this situation.

"Do you know Iris Levine?" she asks.

At this point, is there anyone who doesn't? I swear every damn rebel knows her. "Unfortunately."

She looks relieved. "I'm her cousin."

I blink. I wasn't expecting that. "Did you want to see her or something?" It's not like we're in the middle of fighting each other or anything.

"Can I?"

"No." I feel like I'm looking at her as if she's grown two more heads.

"Oh." She takes a step back. "I shouldn't have come here. I just thought this might be my only chance to see the Estate."

If they stopped trying to blow it up, then maybe she'd have another chance to see it.

"Do you know Vienna Rosen?"

She nods. "Kind of."

My breath catches, and I'll beat myself up for that later. "Is she here?"

"No, she didn't want to come."

"Is Erik here?"

Her eyes drop from my face to my gun. "I'm worried he's going to hurt Iris. I don't

know her well, but she's family and—"

"Do you know where he is?"

She's been a very forthcoming rebel so far. I figure I might as well try.