~ Chapter 3 ~

The sounds of those damn birds chirping awoke me from my slumber as I groggily sat up in bed. I looked over to my phone, as I did every morning to check what had been going on while I was away in la la land. 

A text from Sam.

Which do yo like baiter?

Attached were two pics of napkins

Another text from Sam.

Which do *you like *better?

Oh Sam, always gotta correct your own spelling. I quickly sent my opinion, knowing damn well she already picked since it had been two hours since she sent it. 

Lets see what else is new. Got a new like on Instagram, sweet, that new selfie did me good. Scrolled through Facebook, cousin just got married, didn't get invited. Eh, never liked her anyways. Just one less event I have to pretend to be someone I'm not.

I looked at the date, only three days until the wedding. I sighed just thinking about it and not because I was unhappy for Sam, I was ecstatic, but I was unhappy with the Danny situation. Why did I not like him so much? What made me resent him so strongly? I mean sure he was a dick that night of the game, but wouldn't anyone after they lost one of the biggest games in their life? Well, top ten I guess.

I shrugged it off and jumped in the shower. Damn did the water feel good.

Shampoo, conditioner, soap, shave, sing a song badly, pretend I nailed it, think about life decisions and conversations I'll never have, try out new dance moves I'll never do in real life, almost fall over doing them, knock over bottle while catching myself, swear in pain as it hits my foot, turn water off, face the cold air as I get dried and dressed. The shower usual.

I dressed casual, casual makeup, which by the way, what does that even mean?

As I sat down with my cereal for the day, scrolling through emails, my thoughts of Danny came back. 

One of those really unfortunate things about being an adult is having to face and do things you don't want to do, that was this moment.

"Fine." I said to myself, clicking his contact, hitting call.

"Hello?" He sounded tired, maybe I just woke him up.

"Hey, it's Ellie."

"Oh, hi." 

It was an awkward silence for a few moments.

"I was wondering if you would be willing to meet up today sometime."

"Uh sure. Coffee shop downtown near the park?" 

"Sounds good. An hour?" 

"Yep. See ya then."

I clicked end and thought about what I was doing. It was for Sam.

I put on my Jordan's, yes I know so cliche but I wasn't going to be walking in heels for god sake in Boston.

I made my way out in the busy city and looked around at the sunny and pleasant weather around me, knowing that in the next few days it forecasted complete snow and misery. 

I saw Danny standing outside of the coffee shop and smiled.

"Do you always just wait outside instead of ever meeting someone inside?" I asked and he looked up at me, a smile returning.

"Neve really thought why, but maybe." I nodded back as he held the door open and I walked inside, greeted by the nice interior of the warm little coffee cafe.  

"What are you thinking of getting?" He asked, leaning over.

"I'm thinking just a latte, you?" I asked and he smiled warmly.