Prologue

Ellie

"Tough game." I said, adjusting my huge camera bag strap on my shoulder, trying to find a comfortable position to carry it with.

So far it was proving to be unsuccessful. 

I carry this huge ass camera around, because I am a photographer for the New England Patriots, well, trying to be at least. Today was pretty much the ultimate test to see if they want to hire me on their team of photographers. You know, team photos, profiles, media and such. My test was the playoffs against the Broncos, which sadly, they lost, but I think I got some good pictures at least.

I walked up to my best friend Sam, who was waiting for her man. Her man being Julian Edelman. 

Incredible right? Never would of pegged her as someone who would of gotten with someone as high profile, but I guess people surprise you sometimes.

"Yeah, it really was. I know Julian is going to be so bummed." She said, her arms crossed over her chest. She looked worried of how he was going to act, I felt terrible for her and him, it was a hard loss, right down to the last play too. Has to hurt when it's that close. I grew up watching his team, it always sucked seeing it in person.

"Yeah, I'm sure everyone will be. I got some great shots though, so at least that. Enough to maybe cement a permanent spot on the photograph committee." I proudly stated, smiling wide happy with myself. I didn't want to seem vain, but I was proud of how far I had come.

Her face changed to a smile as she said, "Hey that's great! I can't wait to see the pics." 

Before I could say anything back, one of the players walked out, Rob Gronkowski. That man was a monster in person. He didn't say anything but he kept walking. He was great today, got some good pics of him today, but I'm sure he probably could give a damn.

"He is so much taller in person." I said, turning to watch him walk away.

"Yeah, he's pretty huge." 

Then another walked out.

Danny Amendola.

He smiled softly as he looked to Sam. "Hey Sam." He said as they exchanged a brief hug. 

"Hey Danny. Sorry about the game today." She said to him and he just nodded. 

It was a brief encounter between the two, but I could tell they had been friends for awhile, something more was there than just acquaintances. 

"Yeah it sucked. Just want to get home and not think about it too much." He turned away, adjusting his bag.

"Oh, Danny, this is Ellie, she is a photographer for the Patriots. Think she got some good pics of you today. At least that right?" She joked and I laughed, making a 'pfft'.

"Cause I'm sure that's more important than winning." I joked his way, giving him a smirk, but there was no return except a stare, before he smiled, a fake one, and passed me.

"What crawled up his ass?" I asked, looking back towards him, he looked slumped as he walked, probably unhappy with the whole day in general.

"Nothing, he just lost a game El!" She snorted, calling me by her nickname, defended him and I just rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. It's just that I'm hilarious, deserved a laugh." She rolled her eyes back, she knew she shouldn't fight back, I was just like this and she knew it.

As another player walked, Stephen Gostkowski, I looked around, catching Danny still walking towards the team bus. I did feel a little bad about the joke I guess. 

"I'm gonna get going Sam, this bag is killing me." I exaggerated, adjusting it again for effect.

"Do you need help? There are plenty of guys here." She gestured but I shook my hand at her.

"Nah, I don't need help, just need to get to my car." I chuckled and hugged her before getting going.

"Okay, well text me when you get back home okay and we'll hang." She yelled at me and I gave her a thumbs up, before walking fast away.

"Hey!" I yelled towards Danny as he inched closer to the bus, but he stopped, looking back at me a little ticked.

I caught up to him, smiling but panting at the same time from walking fast with this bag.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry about my noncaringness. I'm sorry you guys lost." 

He smiled, a real one this time, and he shook his head slowly.

"Nah, it's fine." He said and it was the first time I had really heard his voice. It was kind of scratchy and I couldn't tell if he always sounded like that or it was just because they had lost, but I didn't mind it. Because it was dark, I couldn't catch many of his others features, of course I've seen pictures and videos of him, but in person was different, too bad I wasn't getting a good look.

"Oh, okay. Well, good." I said and he just nodded.

"I'm going to go now. Nice meeting you." He turned around and boarded the bus and left me there, stunned. 

What just happened? 

"Dick." I whispered to myself as I walked to my car, just ready to go home.

Why even try to be nice anymore?