twenty two//the end

(Andy's POV) 

I heard Rosie scream from inside the base. I was sitting beside CC, Jake, Jinxx, Van and Alex as the girls tumbled and flipped around in the courtyard. I whipped around as I heard the blood curdling scream. I shot off the ground, kicking dirt and grass up behind me. I sprinted inside to see Rosie crying at the entrance to the supply room. Michael grasped at her shoulder, trying to get her to turn around and face him, but she was unreachable. 

I looked past Rosie and saw Mykie on the ground, her old sword glinting on the floor next to her. "Mykie?!" I begged as I ran towards her. I slid on my knees and sank next to her. She was out cold, no pulse. I clamped my hands together and put them to her chest, about to perform CPR, when I noticed her stomach was moving. A hand pressed against the skin on her abdomen, trying to reach out to me. I gawked at it, staring, unable to look away. 

There was a loud pop as blood gushed out of the tear in Mykie's skin on her stomach. A tiny, chubby hand poked through the tear, stained in Mykie's blood. I watched in horror as my unborn child crawled out of my wife's stomach, it's bright white eyes went right passed me as it started tearing into Mykie and eating the flesh on her stomach. As a gunshot went off incredibly close to me, I snapped out of my daze and scrambled away from the thing that used to be my child. Tears welled in my eyes as I looked at Mykie's face, her beautiful pale face, that was now splattered with her own blood. 

"ANDY! GET BACK!" Jay called to me as she ran forward, her bow loaded and pointed at the monster. I pushed myself away with my hands and watched through the gaps between Jay's legs as she sunk an arrow into the monster's tiny, too large for it's body, head. She gripped the arrow around the shaft and placed her foot on the monster's skull before pulling it out with a hard yank. Her bow and arrow fell to the ground in front of me. Jay cradled Mykie's head in her lap and pushed her long dark hair away from her face. She was murmuring things to her that eventually turned into wretched sobs that echoed throughout the supply room. I heard someone walk towards Jay, Mykie and me. I turned around and saw CC in front of Van, Alex, Quinn, Lux, Jinxx, Jake, Rosie and Michael. They were all staring at me with sad eyes, eyes that told me they knew what I had been denying as I sat there on the floor. 

Mykie was dead. 

Rosie's sobs and Michael's gentle murmurs brought me to my feet. I walked up to Jay and Mykie. I stood, towering over the two. I pulled my small, clean knife from my belt and kneeled beside Jay. I cupped Mykie's face with my hands, ignoring the grotesque knife in my right hand. I leaned down and pressed a hard kiss to her cold lips. 

Then I turned away and brought the knife into her skull. The crack, the slight gasp that Jay made, the noise of pulling the knife out, pushed me over the edge. I got to my feet, the bloodied knife still grasped tightly in my right hand. My left had was in a tight fist at my side. I started off at a calm walk, which turned into jogging, then flat out sprinting. I pushed past CC and streaked off through the main building. I kicked open the front doors and kept going through the courtyard. I didn't stop running even as I neared the tall walls. I ran up the wall and jumped over, landing in a roll in front of the moat. Then I ran more. I ran and ran and ran. I ran until I couldn't run anymore. And then I cried. I sobbed, snot dripped out my nose, tears stained my flustered cheeks. 

I leaned up against a tree. My breathing was ragged, and there was this weight on my chest, a pain in my heart that would not lift. I gasped for breath until I caught it. Then I stared down at my knife, the knife that had the blood of my wife, the blood of Mykie, on it. I lifted it with both hands and pointed the tip to my heart. My hands shook with anticipation. My vision blurred from the tears. 

I was about the push the knife through skin, muscle, bone, heart. But I couldn't. Images of Rosie flashed in my mind. Of her laughing, crying, smiling. I could not miss the moments of her and Michael growing up, no matter what happened or how hard it got.