nineteen//house of gold

(Michael's POV) 

There, rolling on the floor, was my mother's head. I was numb. I couldn't feel anything but the sobs that escaped my mouth. I sank to the floor and curled into a ball, holding my head in with my knees, as if that would block out the image that would be permanently burned into my mind. 

Rosie got out of Mykie's lap and sat down on the floor next to me as everyone else was in chaos. Rosie didn't say anything, didn't touch me, just sat there and cried with me. I think that's the only thing she knew to do. 

*** 

Andy found the rest of Momma in the courtyard. They built a makeshift coffin and put her inside, after taking away the burning white in her eyes. I had leaned over the casket and stared at her remains. 

What did I do to deserve to lose both my parents?

Rosie had pulled me away and distracted me with making her mother teach me the ukulele part to House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots. After I could effectively play it, I asked her, "Could you teach me the rest of the song?" 

*** 

Andy, CC, Jinxx and Jake carried Momma's casket down to where Dad was buried. Mykie, Lux, Quinn, Jay, Jace, Alex and Van carried candles around the casket. Rosie had Rae's hand glued to hers as she walked behind her mother. I had my ukulele under my arm as I walked next to Rosie. 

Andy, CC, Jinxx and Jake lowered Momma and the wooden casket down into a hole that was right beside Dad. As they took turns shoveling dirt, I sang the song Momma had mentioned to me. 

"She asked me, 'Son, when I grow old, will you buy me a house of gold? And when your father turns to stone, will you take care of me?'"  I strummed the ukulele hard with my fingers, and sang the lyrics that my Mom had said to me after Dad had died. 

  "She asked me, 'Son, when I grow old, will you buy me a house of gold? And when your father turns to stone, will you take care of me?'"  

  "I will make you queen of everything you see, I'll put you on the map, I'll cure you of disease." Tears streamed heavily down my cheeks as I sang the words I never got to tell her. 

 "Let's say we up and left this town, and turned our future upside down. We'll make pretend that you and me, lived ever after happily." My gaze fell on Rosie as I sang these words. 

  "She asked me, 'Son, when I grow old, will you buy me a house of gold? And when your father turns to stone, will you take care of me?' I will make you queen of everything you see, I'll put you on the map, I'll cure you of disease."

"And since we know that dreams are dead, and life turns plans up on their head, I will plan to be a bum, so I just might become someone!" Rosie and I screamed.

 "She asked me, 'Son, when I grow old, will you buy me a house of gold? And when your father turns to stone, will you take care of me?'. I will make you queen of everything you see, I'll put you on the map, I'll cure you of disease. " I strummed the last note before sinking to my knees.