twenty//sleepy murmurs

(Rosie's POV)

I crept closer to the wall and peeked around the corner. Mom and Dad were standing there. Mom's face was flustered, her cheeks tainted red.

"You think I don't know that? But what revenge could we possibly give them? And even if we could come up with a plan, you know Michael will want to be a part of it." I listened closer to what Dad was saying.

Mom rocked on her heels and pushed air out through her teeth in frustration.

"Well," she said. "we have to do something." Mom took a deep breath and braced herself against the wall. Her knees were shaking, sweat threatened to roll down her forehead. She gave a slight gasp of pain.

"Mykie? What's wrong?" Dad asked her worriedly. He put an arm on Mom's shoulder and washed his careful gaze over her.

Mom waved Dad's worried glance off and straightened herself out. "It's nothing, I'm fine." Mom placed her hand on her stomach and rubbed circles on it as she regained her composure.

"C'mon. Let's get you to bed." Dad told Mom as she led her over to where I was peeking. Alarmed, I scuttled into the main room silently, and jumped into Michael's hammock before Mom and Dad saw me. Michael muttered something before he turned around and faced me.

"Rosie?" he asked, his voice muddled from sleep. I nodded in the darkness. Michael tucked a loose strand of me long black hair behind my ear. He let his thumb glide along my cheekbone for a second before he retracted his hand.

"What're you doing?" he asked me in a whisper. I gave him a sheepish smile.

"I'm hiding from Mykie and Andy." I told him. He frowned, his dark eyebrows knit themselves together. "I was spying on them as they talked." I said. Michael's mouth opened into an 'o' shape.

Michael wrapped half of his blanket around me and pulled me closer to him, so my back was pressed against his chest. His arm was draped across my side as he fell asleep. I welcomed sleep shortly after him, but not before I heard him mutter my name in his sleep.